CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   Perforated plate (

Alex K. July 26, 2003 03:39

Perforated plate
Hi everybody, I define a perforated plate as porous-jump. 20% of the area of the plate is perforated. What value should i put for the permeability (in the boundary conditions)? CAn i find this value if i know that there are 20% perforations in the plate? Thank you.

Guess July 26, 2003 11:32

Re: Perforated plate
You may refer to Perry - Chemical engineering Hand Book or You can do series of simulations to find the resistance of the perforated plate!

Erwin July 28, 2003 08:03

The permeability factor should be used only whenever the viscous resistance is important (i.e. laminar flow), so forget about using if for a perforated plate. The Fluent help file (6.19.6) shows you how to set the inertial factor for perforated plate, with an example for 25% opena area. Based on this method your value would be 12.5.

Alex K. July 28, 2003 09:34

thank you Erwin, this indormation was very important for me. Thnx again.

Erwin July 29, 2003 05:55

You're welcome. Don't forget that the value I gave you applies for a perforated plate of 1 mm thickness.

Frank August 2, 2003 07:01

Porous jump instead of perforated plate is ok, if the flow comes normal to the plate. If it is under an angle, we found the results look not realistic.

Kostas August 2, 2003 09:06

Thank you Frank for sharing your experience with me. I tried to use the perforated plate (as porous jump) and i noticed a small deflection of the direction of the flow. According to my supervisor the result was satisfactory but not very realistic. Thank you very much.