CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   How to create a Cell Zone (

Bikash October 24, 2003 12:38

How to create a Cell Zone
Hi, i got a model and its meshed. now i want to create a cell zone so that i can provide heat source from that cell. how do i do that? i would really appreciate your help and respect your time. thank you

Bikash October 24, 2003 12:46

Re: How to create a Cell Zone
im using fluent 6

and gambit 2

thomas October 25, 2003 12:48

Hi, If you already have you domain meshed and you do not want to define your cell zone by returning in gambit you can do the following stuff in Fluent. Adapt>region>entre the parameter of your cell zone (size coordonate ....)>adapt>mark. The default name for this new zone will be (I think) something like 'hexhedron-r0'. Like that you can for example patch what you want in this zone. You might need some further steps to set it as a heat source though ... but I dunno about that. Hope this help, thomas

Bikash Vaidya October 26, 2003 15:11

hi thomas thanks a lot for the information. i will figure it out how to do if now. can we do that in gambit too? i didnt know about that. please let me know how to do it in gambit. thank you

thomas October 26, 2003 16:04

Hi, the second icon in the boundary condition panel will help you to define contnuum BC -> will help you to define solid or fluid zone. Be aware of something. I have notice for a personal case that you need to have this zone meshed separatly to be considered in the mesh export in Fluent. For example if you have a small rectangle inside a bigger one and you mesh just the bigger one hoping the small one will be also mesh. You are still able in Gambit to define the small rectangle as a specific cell zone but this zone will be take into account in the mesh export. You need to operate some boolean operations on the rectangle and mesh them separately. I just hope this fits to the problem you have to solve and I am not misleading you. cheers thomas