CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   Please Help! (Fluent Error) (

John December 18, 2003 00:50

Please Help! (Fluent Error)

Sometimes, when I run iterations in Fluent 6.0, I obtain this error statement:

Error: > (greater-than):invalid argument [2]:wrong type [not a number] Error Object: nanOx7ffffe00

May i know what's the meaning of this error? How to resolve it??

Erwin December 18, 2003 05:20

Re: Please Help! (Fluent Error)
I have seen the same thing. Very mysterious. It seems to have something to do with the residuals, but I don't know what. The only way I have managed to resolve is to initialize again and restart the calculations.

Andrew Garrard December 18, 2003 05:36

When you recieve an error with NAN or not a number, it usually means that one on of the variables has increased to beyond the limits of FLUENT. It could mean that you have a divergent system do to one of the constants you set. Have a look at the residuals and see if one of them shoots up at the time of your error.

Erwin December 18, 2003 13:56

I have a question for you: did this error occur after you repartitioned an existing case file and tried to continue the iterations??

Venkatesh December 21, 2003 07:48

Did you got any warning message before getting this error message ? You will get this error message when the flow variables reach unrealistic values (eg: pressure reaching zero or density reaching zero). One way to handle is that limit the flow variable values with in limits( you will be have a rough idea of what the values of pressure ??).

And start the analysis with low under relaxation values ..

sijal ahmed January 5, 2004 05:02

Venkatesh is quit right