CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   Heat sink analysis (

Akash September 10, 2004 19:23

Heat sink analysis

I am using Fluent to model forced convection in a longitudinal heat sink for its application in electronics. I created the geometry in Gambit and specified an inlet velocity and pressure outlet condition for the fluid zone and a temperature at the base of the heat fin. But when I imported this geometry in Fluent and performed the analysis, the post-processing results demonstrated a uniform temperature( which was the base temperature I specified) all over the fin ( i.e it was insulated) I could not use the "coupled option" as no shadow zones were created. I would appreciate it if you could give me any input as to what might have gone wrong.

Many thanks, Akash

Jan Langebach September 13, 2004 08:39

Re: Heat sink analysis
Hello, as far as my experiences show you need to connect the volume of the surrounding fluid and the volume of your heat sink. Otherwise you wont get any shadow wall for the connection between heat sink and fluid. But if you are modelling only a fluid with attaching walls and no volume of the heat sink (just the wall of it) you dont need any shadow wall.

Akash September 13, 2004 11:14

Re: Heat sink analysis
Thanks Jan. I really appreciate your help.