CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   how to plot Q criterion in fluent (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/37260-how-plot-q-criterion-fluent.html)

anindya July 13, 2005 10:06

how to plot Q criterion in fluent

Can anyone suggest how I can plot Q criterion in fluent to visualize the coherent structures?

Thanks for your help.

Anindya

said July 21, 2005 08:02

Re: how to plot Q criterion in fluent

hi anindya,

you certainly have the definition of that q criterion which is based on velocity gradient. Fluent do not provide it directly,i mean you have to compose it from computed velocity gradient as a custom field function. for that: define>custom field function and type the name of the criterion "q" for example. you will be then able to visualize the q value on a specified surface on the contour panel...

if you want to create an animation of an iso-q surface for example you also have to create an isosurface,

hope it helps. best regards

Said

anindya July 22, 2005 13:33

Thanks a lot for your message. I have already created that custom field function Q.

So when I create iso-surfaces, do I create iso surfaces of Q ( say specific values of Q) and then plot Q on those Q iso-surfaces? Or do I plot Q on iso-surfaces of low pressure, vorticity-maginitude, etc?

Anindya

Helper July 24, 2005 14:06

Fortunately, you don't have to use UDF. Here's a simpler way of visualizing the iso-contours of the second-invariant.

You can use the custom field funtion capbility in FLUENT. First you define the second-invariant of deformation tensor with

Q = 0.5(W*W - S*S) where W is the vorticity magnitude (you can find it under the "Velocity" menu) and S is the mean rate-of-strain (you can find it under "Derivatives" menu).

Once you defined Q, you can generate iso-surfaces of Q for several positive values.

anindya July 24, 2005 23:57

Thanks a lot for your help.

Anindya

la7low March 20, 2011 17:51

Q expressed with scalars or tensors...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helper
;122608
Fortunately, you don't have to use UDF. Here's a simpler way of visualizing the iso-contours of the second-invariant.

You can use the custom field funtion capbility in FLUENT. First you define the second-invariant of deformation tensor with

Q = 0.5(W*W - S*S) where W is the vorticity magnitude (you can find it under the "Velocity" menu) and S is the mean rate-of-strain (you can find it under "Derivatives" menu).

Once you defined Q, you can generate iso-surfaces of Q for several positive values.

Hi Guys,

should not it be the following:
Q=0.25*(W*W - S*S)
???

As the mean rate-of-strain (scalar) is defined as:
S=(2Sij*Sij)^0.5
and similarly the vorticity magnitude (scalar):
W=(2Wij*Wij)^0.5
with Sij being the mean rate of strain tensor and with Wij the mean vorticity tensor (besides, Sij=symmetric, while Wij=antisymmetric part of mean velocity gradient tensor).
Finally the second invariant of velocity grad tensor is defined as:
Q=0.5*(Wij*Wij - Sij*Sij). So I think Q should be: Q=0.25*(W*W - S*S). Is that right?

Besides, this formula of Q is only valid for incompressible flows, more precisely for flows with divergence free velocity field so that divUj=0 <=> Sii=0 !

Thanks!

Dipanjay May 10, 2011 05:26

Q expressed with scalars or tensors

Hi la7low, I completely agree with you.

Cheers..

ashar_md2001 October 22, 2012 08:37

Q criterion Reference

Hi la7low,
Could you please give the reference, from where you have taken this Q criterion.

Thanks