CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   Fluent -> ParaView (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/37825-fluent-paraview.html)

Newbie September 7, 2005 11:59

Fluent -> ParaView

Anyone know if Fluent data can be read by the post processor 'ParaView'.

Had a bit of an explore and it don't seem to want to work. Any experience out there?

Charles September 8, 2005 03:12

Re: Fluent -> ParaView

Yes, it can be done. Export to Ensight binary format, read the resulting *.encas file into Paraview with the "Little-endian" option.

Newbie September 8, 2005 12:39

Thanks - will try.

Newbie September 8, 2005 14:45

One thing I did have to do in case others are reading.

Rename the *.encas file to *.case.

Anyway this worked for me!

Charles September 8, 2005 15:30

The .encas --> .cas rename is not strictly necessary. You can force Paraview to list all the files in the directory (otherwise it only lists the files with extensions familiar to it) and then select the Ensight files reader when it asks which reader to use. You can also use the ASCII format Ensight files, but you need to strip the leading spaces from all lines containing character strings.

Udio_NT September 9, 2010 03:13

I tried to open .cas and .dat file from Fluent in Paraview, but I'm not able to see the results in the right way. The 3D model is opened and I can see velocities, for example. But I can't see the right countour velocity map.

So I tried to export datas from Fluent in EnSight format. But Paraview gives this error:
ERROR: In ..\..\..\src\Servers\Filters\vtkEnSightGoldBinaryR eader2.cxx, line 94 vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader2 (046867F0): stat failed.
ERROR: In ..\..\..\src\Servers\Filters\vtkEnSightGoldBinaryR eader2.cxx, line 136
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader2 (046867F0): Unable to open file: C:\Users\Utente\Desktop\How to use Paraview\Hybrid 020 010 005\/hybrid
ERROR: In ..\..\..\src\Servers\Filters\vtkEnSightReader2.cxx , line 307
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader2 (046867F0): error reading geometry file
ERROR: In ..\..\..\src\VTK\Filtering\vtkExecutive.cxx, line 756
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (047AAA60): Algorithm vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader2(046867F0) returned failure for request: vtkInformation (04823518)
Debug: Off
Modified Time: 98830
Reference Count: 1
Registered Events: (none)
Request: REQUEST_DATA
FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0
FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
ERROR: In ..\..\..\src\Servers\Filters\vtkGenericEnSightRead er2.cxx, line 465
vtkGenericEnSightReader2 (047AC148): Unable to open file: C:\Users\Utente\Desktop\How to use Paraview\Hybrid 020 010 005\/hybrid
Warning: In ..\..\..\src\Servers\Filters\vtkGenericEnSightRead er2.cxx, line 466
vtkGenericEnSightReader2 (047AC148): Assuming binary file.

What can I do?

thomas. July 28, 2015 09:08

Hi Claudio,

any luck with your problem (I know you posted it about 5 years ago!)? I am having a similar one.

Thanks in advance!

Udio_NT August 21, 2015 10:23

Hello Thomas,
Did you try to convert Fluent .cas and .dat files into Ensight gold format before opening them in Paraview? Try also to change the extension .encase to .case manually.

thomas. August 22, 2015 03:40

I tried that and it worked! Thanks.