CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   cylinder in 2d (

juliana pesma March 9, 2006 21:02

cylinder in 2d
Dear all,

I am trying to model a simple pipe flow. I was wondering if a cylindrical object can be accurately modelled in 2dimensions? i.e. the cross section becomes a rectangle.

How do we account for the rounded sides? wouldn't it become like a rectangular box beam in 3d? How can i use cylindrical coordinates to rectify this problem and model a cylinder in 2d? Thanks a lot

best regards Juliana

kharicha March 10, 2006 02:50

Re: cylinder in 2d
Use the axisymmetric model of fluent. be carefull on the fact that the axis of symmetry of your cylinder should be the x coordinate....and the radial the y coordinate.

Ravi Duggirala March 10, 2006 04:58

Hi, when you are modeling a cylinder flow then the boundary conditions you might use are axisymmetric which wont make the 2D problem as rectangular box beam in 3D.

hope it clarified your doubt Regards Ravi Duggirala

juliana pesma March 11, 2006 09:15

hi I am sorry. 1) how do I activate the axisymmetric model in fluent? 2) if my cylinder is later modified to pipe inclined at some angle, can still use axisymmetric model?

Thanks a lot!' juliana

naderafshar July 18, 2012 16:03

antisymmetric cylinder
Dear all
I have a Tjunction tube that 2 phases ( air and water) get in from two inlets and mix. I want to model this in 2D but this problem is not symmetric so I could not use axisymmetric condition please help me

Marion July 19, 2012 04:37

If your geometry doesn't have an axis of symmetry you cannot use the 2D axisymmetric model. Especially if you want to have the water coming from 1 side and the air coming from the other side.
You could try a standard 2D model, but then you won't be modelling pipes, as the Z direction will be infinite.
for a T-junction pipe, I am afraid 3D is your only option.