CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > FLUENT

pressure drop of the periodic boundary!

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LuckyTran

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   December 22, 2006, 01:03
Default pressure drop of the periodic boundary!
  #1
debuger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hi ! I'v been compute a 2D channel use periodic boundary and got a covergence ,also I found the value of pressure grident changed in "periodic conditions" form.

My question is: whether or not I can treat the pressure gradient as the pressure drop?for example if the pressure gradient is 23Pa/m , as for 0.5m channels then the pressure drop is 0.5*23=11.5Pa? is that correctly?

My second question is:there are two channels which have same profile,one is 2D model the other is 3D model and generally how difference the results of the two situations?
  Reply With Quote

Old   November 17, 2012, 09:43
Default
  #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 5
Kamu is on a distinguished road
I am also stuck with the same problem, i checked in the user guide and they say the pressure drop is the sum of the linear component (pressure gradient) and a periodic component if you are using the pressure based solver! I can not see how you get the periodic component, also when you get the pressure drop using the derivative dp/dz if z is your streamwise direction the results is different from the pressure gradient! let me know if you get a way out
Kamu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 17, 2012, 12:58
Default
  #3
Senior Member
 
Lucky Tran
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 11
LuckyTran is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamu View Post
I am also stuck with the same problem, i checked in the user guide and they say the pressure drop is the sum of the linear component (pressure gradient) and a periodic component if you are using the pressure based solver! I can not see how you get the periodic component, also when you get the pressure drop using the derivative dp/dz if z is your streamwise direction the results is different from the pressure gradient! let me know if you get a way out
Once you choose to do a periodic simulation, the linear component (the pressure gradient) is removed from the governing equations. It is represented by a body force (similar to gravity). The pressure gradient that shows up on the periodic conditions dialog box is the linear pressure gradient.

Because Fluent has removed the linear pressure gradient, if you calculate dp/dx from your your simulation, you will actually get the derivative of the periodic component only and not the overall or actual pressure gradient. To get the overall pressure gradient you need to add back, the linear component.
LuckyTran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 19, 2012, 03:47
Default Periodic B.C
  #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 5
Kamu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTran View Post
Once you choose to do a periodic simulation, the linear component (the pressure gradient) is removed from the governing equations. It is represented by a body force (similar to gravity). The pressure gradient that shows up on the periodic conditions dialog box is the linear pressure gradient.

Because Fluent has removed the linear pressure gradient, if you calculate dp/dx from your your simulation, you will actually get the derivative of the periodic component only and not the overall or actual pressure gradient. To get the overall pressure gradient you need to add back, the linear component.
Dear Lucky
Thanks for the reply. I will check with that. if i take the derivative at the period boundaries does it represent the actual pressure drop?
Kamu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 19, 2012, 03:57
Default
  #5
Senior Member
 
Lucky Tran
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 11
LuckyTran is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamu View Post
Dear Lucky
Thanks for the reply. I will check with that. if i take the derivative at the period boundaries does it represent the actual pressure drop?
No it does not.

Please be careful when saying pressure drop versus pressure gradient and carefully denote whether you mean pressure gradient at a specific location or gradient over the entire periodic length of the domain.

The derivative of pressure at one of the periodic boundaries yields only the local periodic pressure gradient.

The overall pressure drop is also the linear pressure drop since the periodic pressure are boundaries are equal (no contribution to the gradient from the periodic pressure). You can get this overall pressure drop by taking the linear pressure gradient and multiplying by the length of the periodic sector.
LuckyTran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 19, 2012, 04:16
Default Periodic B.C
  #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 5
Kamu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTran View Post
No it does not.

Please be careful when saying pressure drop versus pressure gradient and carefully denote whether you mean pressure gradient at a specific location or gradient over the entire periodic length of the domain.

The derivative of pressure at one of the periodic boundaries yields only the local periodic pressure gradient.

The overall pressure drop is also the linear pressure drop since the periodic pressure are boundaries are equal (no contribution to the gradient from the periodic pressure). You can get this overall pressure drop by taking the linear pressure gradient and multiplying by the length of the periodic sector.
Thanks very much Lucky, am interested in the pressure drop across the periodic sector and your explanation making sense. I have checked my solutions and they are reasonable. Are you using workbench? I would like to expose this linear component as my output for parametric analysis but in the periodic panel it is not possible! Is there any other way I can get this linear component in post processing??
Thanks once again
Kamu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 19, 2012, 04:39
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
Lucky Tran
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 594
Rep Power: 11
LuckyTran is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamu View Post
Thanks very much Lucky, am interested in the pressure drop across the periodic sector and your explanation making sense. I have checked my solutions and they are reasonable. Are you using workbench? I would like to expose this linear component as my output for parametric analysis but in the periodic panel it is not possible! Is there any other way I can get this linear component in post processing??
Thanks once again
I don't use workbench, only Fluent directly so I am not sure of workbench specifics. Except manually looking at the periodic conditions, the linear pressure gradient is not obtainable directly, it is not stored or exported as a variable. But you should be able to get it from some integral of wall shear stress (and use area, length relations to put that into pressure gradient) and that is exported. Should be doable.
Kamu likes this.
LuckyTran is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
periodic boundary conditions fro pressure Salem Main CFD Forum 21 April 10, 2013 00:44
Water subcooled boiling Attesz CFX 7 January 5, 2013 04:32
Calculation of pressure gradient in periodic boundary condition ksaat FLUENT 7 May 16, 2011 03:59
Domain Imbalance HMR CFX 3 March 6, 2011 21:10
what the result is negatif pressure at inlet chong chee nan FLUENT 0 December 29, 2001 06:13


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52.