CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   fluent @ Mac OSx (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/46868-fluent-mac-osx.html)

ignazio December 18, 2007 12:33

fluent @ Mac OSx
 
Hi, anybody know if fluent might work on a Mac OSx? thanks, ciao, ignazio

maik geordon December 18, 2007 14:35

Re: fluent @ Mac OSx
 
Hi, definitely not! If you are using a Mac with an Intel processor you can use software like VM Wares FUSION (for very very simple cases) to run a supported operating system (e.g. Windows XP). If you are using an Intel Mac and Leopard (10.5) you can use Bootcamp to install an other OS natively besides the MacOS. Feel free to ask questions about that.

Will Anderson October 27, 2010 14:16

How is the graphic performance on your mac while running fluent? How much harddrive did you need to partition away from the mac for using fluent? Did you install ICEM CFD too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maik geordon
;147420
Hi, definitely not! If you are using a Mac with an Intel processor you can use software like VM Wares FUSION (for very very simple cases) to run a supported operating system (e.g. Windows XP). If you are using an Intel Mac and Leopard (10.5) you can use Bootcamp to install an other OS natively besides the MacOS. Feel free to ask questions about that.


Will Anderson November 2, 2010 04:56

Fluent 6 and ICEM CFD on MAC
 
I installed Fluent and ICEM CFD on my MacBook Air last week. I use Windows 7 on a 20GB harddrive partition. It appears that 20GB is a bit small, so I might have to repeat the entire operation soon. But for now, I can report that the graphics are great, the performance is very good, and the only downside is having virus-prone Windows parked on my innocent Macintosh.

Go for it!

rohitjvbibin February 8, 2011 10:27

Fluent 6.3 and Gambit 2.3/Gambit2.4 on Apple Macbook Pro???
 
Hi ,

I am planning to buy an Apple since ages...And i also know that Windows 7 can be loaded on it. Can i install Fluent and Gambit from ANSYS onto this Windows 7 on my Macbook??...If so will I get superb performance of Apples graphics...Or will i have problem in installation??...

please help me out. I need to decide fast before my thesis presentation date..

Thanks in advance

RohitjvBibin

Will Anderson February 8, 2011 16:00

installation on windows
 
Hi,
Installation on Windows on Mac is easy. I use a MacBook Air 2,1. Old School but it works.
Graphics are top notch. No Problems with it.
Will

gzpainter November 9, 2012 19:18

Sorry for bringing an old thread back to life but I have some questions....
I am planning really soon to buy a MacBook Air 13" and I would like to load it with icemcfd..

I cannot understand why I should install Windows 7 or 8 in order to work icemcfd .As far as I know, iOS is based on Linux, so any Linux version of the program wouldn't be able to be used. Correct me if I am wrong??
I am just saying this as you bought a Macbook with iOS otherwise you would have gone for something else, right?

ghost82 November 10, 2012 04:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by gzpainter (Post 391341)
Sorry for bringing an old thread back to life but I have some questions....
I am planning really soon to buy a MacBook Air 13" and I would like to load it with icemcfd..

I cannot understand why I should install Windows 7 or 8 in order to work icemcfd .As far as I know, iOS is based on Linux, so any Linux version of the program wouldn't be able to be used. Correct me if I am wrong??
I am just saying this as you bought a Macbook with iOS otherwise you would have gone for something else, right?

Hi,
Yes mac osx operating system is based on unix, but ansys is not supporting mac's operating systems and you will not be able to compile on them; check ansys site to see supported operating systems.
I have a mac too (macbook pro); the best option is to install boocamp and windows 7 64 bit to run ansys.

Daniele

lodoc March 19, 2014 15:38

Hi, please, if I buy a MacBook Air core i7, 8gb, 128 ssd, Will I be able run icem and fluente? I know that i will have to install Windows, I want to know if it will be nice... the graphics, the fast... Thanks!

ghost82 March 19, 2014 17:30

Yes, as I wrote you will be able to run the softwares. You'd better to install bootcamp instead of a virtual machine.
Your system will perform as a standard i7 with 8 gb ram.

lodoc March 19, 2014 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost82 (Post 480950)
Yes, as I wrote you will be able to run the softwares. You'd better to install bootcamp instead of a virtual machine.
Your system will perform as a standard i7 with 8 gb ram.

do you think that an air is sufficient or a Pro would be much better?

ghost82 March 20, 2014 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lodoc (Post 480986)
do you think that an air is sufficient or a Pro would be much better?

I don't think there will be much difference; however don't expect to solve problems with several million cells in a few time with that laptop.

Daniele


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09.