CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   making both cores work (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/47401-making-both-cores-work.html)

anup February 21, 2008 10:34

making both cores work

i hv pentium D 2.8Ghz .how can i make both of my cores work simultaneouly .. apending -t2 in the shortcut did give me a feel that something is goin to happen ..but alas!! the CPU utilization showed only one core working at full capacity ... plz help me ..how to do it

rodrigo February 21, 2008 22:21

Re: making both cores work

you have to disconnect the dual core function in your computer BIOS. At least it did function with an Hyper Threading Pentium processor.

Paolo Lampitella February 22, 2008 07:39

I have a quad core q6600 and Windows vista. when i want to use the parallel version of Fluent i just go in the start menu, run... and digit:

C:\Fluent.Inc\ntbin\ntx86\fluent 3ddp -t2

where the last digit (2) means 2 processes. If i want to use 3 cores i digit:

C:\Fluent.Inc\ntbin\ntx86\fluent 3ddp -t3

and so on.

You can also go in the dos prompt and under the directory:

C:\Fluent.Inc\ntbin\ntx86

digit:

fluent 3ddp -t3

anup February 22, 2008 08:55

i did that but that should mean that when i look through the task manager it should show both the cores working at 100% usage ..does it show in ur case?

anup February 22, 2008 09:27

Host spawning Node 0 on machine "personal-b35842" (ntx86).

You can click CTRL+C to stop the startup process!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ID Comm. Hostname O.S. PID Mach ID HW ID Name ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ host net personal-b35842 Windows-32 4024 0 1508 Fluent Host n1 mpich2 personal-b35842 Windows-32 4080 0 1 Fluent Node n0* mpich2 personal-b35842 Windows-32 1888 0 0 Fluent Node

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i got this message .. yippe i guess its working now ... but is there a software/test to check the cpu time req to perform a specific task

anup February 22, 2008 09:30

i hv a doubt though even even no calcuations/iterations are done ..the cpu usage by fluent is 50% y is that so

Paolo Lampitella February 22, 2008 13:02

I have not yet used it so much because i'm working on a 2D problem. But in the little test i've done i launched 3 processes and 3 cores were at about 95 - 100 %, the fourth core was at 50 %, maybe because it was the host.

However in my case Fluent displayed the same thing you posted

anup February 22, 2008 13:06

thanks .. btw what do u do ? may i know more about u

Paolo Lampitella February 22, 2008 13:19

You're welcome

I'm a graduate student in italy and i'm going to work on Synthetic Jets in straight channel with LES.

But, before to perform such a simulation, i'm testing the Fluent space and time discretization schemes with the Taylor solution in 2d.

Maybe, i'll have time to perform some straight channel LES simulations on the intel quadcore so i could go deep in multicore and say more about the performance of Fluent in this case.

anup February 22, 2008 13:21

dude ..that was all latin to me ... i m a final year chemical engg undergraduate at the Indian institute of technology,kharagpur .. guess u hv heard about it ...

anup February 22, 2008 13:25

last year i went to italy while i was in netherlands for my summer internship .. its much like india .. and a lot differnt than rest of the europe

Paolo Lampitella February 23, 2008 05:27

Yes, italy is a lot different of the rest of Europe...in the worst sense possible. Actually italy it's going down so rapidly that everyone i know wants to go in other country to live. I'm also in a special situation, living in Campania which is now becomed a 4th world country because of the trash in every street and around every corner.

Well...let's leave this space to CFD stuff.

Bye

MS February 26, 2008 05:00

Whom are you working under? Rof. S.Chakraborty or Prof. SK Dash?

anup February 26, 2008 05:04

m working under prof G Das and Samantah ray .. btw who r u ?

MS February 27, 2008 03:53

Sorry dude got ... got mixed up .. thought that u were from mechanical engineering...

I am a 2004 passout from Mech.

anup February 27, 2008 07:57

well i m goin to pass in 2008.... m in iit kgp... whr r u now?

MS February 28, 2008 10:04

I am a CFD analyst in an Automotive company.