CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   Need help with statement in Gambit (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/48128-need-help-statement-gambit.html)

kbs May 4, 2008 07:14

Need help with statement in Gambit

Hey to all I need some help with a phrase not understandable to me mentioned on a paper published on the chemical engineering and processing journal at the year 2006 , the author of the paper said: "The 3D mesh (cylinder) consists of 400 nodes per section with a section every 2 degree, i.e. about 55,000-150,000 eight node brick elements. The prediction where performed with a 40 X 500 mesh. In order to verify the independence of the solution on the mesh size, calculations were also made with a grid of 80 X 1000" The question here : what the author mean with this statement " The prediction where performed with a 40 X 500 mesh" ? how can I do this practically through Gambit? Any idea please?

Thanks a lot kbs

kbs May 5, 2008 04:28

Need some explaining please

Hello I can send that paper if it necessary just leave a comment please.

Regards kbs

kbs May 6, 2008 07:18

Need some explaining please-urgent paper included

hey I still not receive any replay about my last question however I was uploaded the paper which I need help with it and all other details about geometry mentioned in page 60 hope somebody can help me and thanks to all. The paper can be downloaded from the link below please cut and paste in your browser: http://www.quickfiles.net/857489

bohis May 7, 2008 02:53

Re: Need some explaining please-urgent paper inclu

I have read the article. Number1 x Number2 just means the total number of elements in my view. By the way, I do not like their surface mesh on the roll bottom.

good luck

kbs May 7, 2008 06:13

hey bohis your answer not understandable? how it mean the total number of elements in your view ? which section you mean (inlet-outlet-wall) and why you not like this mesh in the roll bottom?

bohis May 7, 2008 06:30

I mean total number of grid cells in whole cylinder.

I do not like the surface mesh in the bottom of cylinder, since I can see some highly skewed elements (rectangles)

good luck

kbs May 7, 2008 07:02

how you know it's a highly skewed elements? did you draw it?

bohis May 7, 2008 07:10

I have seen it, you should see it also. The mesh in the bottom is like a rectangular mesh imposed to the circle, thus, there must be naturally highly skewed elements. Understand?

kbs May 7, 2008 08:20

well not important if the mesh was bad the important thing is getting good results. Can you tell what the author mean with the mesh consist of 400 nodes per section with a section every 2-? did u know how can this be done?

bohis May 7, 2008 08:43

400 nodes mean that there were 400 nodes in the bottom of the cylinder and then it was swept along the length of cylinder. It sounds quite simple. The formulation about 2 seems quite strange to me, however, I thing that it means the sector angle defined by the number of nodes. It means that author had 180 nodes on the perimeter of the cylinder crosssection

kbs May 8, 2008 02:19

hey you mean the interval count equal to 180 for the full diameter hence the angle become 2 degree?

bohis May 8, 2008 02:34

you are right, but I can be wrong, of course.

k.baker May 8, 2008 04:19

everyone can be wrong why you not have confidence in yourself.

bohis May 8, 2008 04:29

okay, so I am absolutely convinced about what I have written :)

k.baker May 8, 2008 04:50

nobody said that what you wrote is wrong but be aware you may expose to do mistakes through your life.

bohis May 8, 2008 04:56

thank you for your deep philosophical thought. I am well aware of that, since I am making mistakes very often ;)

Aris Nikolopoulos May 9, 2008 08:15

I'm busy too. I'm preparing my next mistake!