CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   Boundary conditions in Fluent. (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/49314-boundary-conditions-fluent.html)

Novice September 22, 2008 07:46

Boundary conditions in Fluent.

Dear Fluent users,

Is it possible to run a fluent case with a boundary condition read from another case. i.e. If i define a face as outlet for the first case and now i want to read this boundary as an inlet for a second case???

Please let me knwo if it is possible, if so let me know the procedure.

Thanks in advance.

j.sureshkumar September 22, 2008 08:35

Re: Boundary conditions in Fluent.

yes you can change...while defining the boundary condition in fluent software.... the velocity inlet can be changed to pressure outlet

CDE September 22, 2008 23:41

In this first case go file->write and write the boudnary profile of the outlet. In the second case go file->read->profile and read the boundary profile from the 1st case. Set the inlet to the second case as a velocity inlet and set the components to the appropriate component from the boundary profile

Novice September 24, 2008 04:54

Thanks for the reply CDE.

One more question: You have suggested me,

"Set the inlet to the second case as a velocity inlet and set the components to the appropriate component from the boundary profile "

In writing the boundary profile of the Outlet for the first case by file->write -> Profile....then the menu shows many quantities like StaticPressure, Total Pressure...etc... I want to transfer all the results of the first case to the second case and begine my simulation with the results of 1st case. So while writing the profile for outlet (of 1st case), should i select all the quantities that appear in the menu or ???

Please let me know the procedure.

Thanks in advance.

Novice

CDE September 24, 2008 19:51

At the inlet to the 2nd case, you need to specify a value for each equation you are solving to get an exact copy. For example, if you are solving single phase turbulent flow, you need to write u,v,w,p,k and e at the outlet of the first case.

Also, try and make the outlet/inlet grids indentical as this reduces the errror associated with profiles.

furqanrk March 20, 2016 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDE
;153552
In this first case go file->write and write the boudnary profile of the outlet. In the second case go file->read->profile and read the boundary profile from the 1st case. Set the inlet to the second case as a velocity inlet and set the components to the appropriate component from the boundary profile

Dear expert.. I have to use Superficial gas velocity 0.0016 m/s. But In fluent we have to put Velocity Magnitude at VELOCITY INLET boundary conditions.( INLET VELOCITY) How can I calculate INLET GAS VELOCITY form superficial gas velocity??? ( Reactor dimensions are 20*5*50 cm W*D*L and inlet dimensions are 2.4*1.2 L*D )