CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   Torque calculation with fluent (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/49572-torque-calculation-fluent.html)

s wang October 21, 2008 04:30

Torque calculation with fluent

Hello all,

I am currently implementing Fluent to simulate the wind turbine.I want to calculate the torque generated by the blades.Could anyone pls give me some advice on the calculating of torque?

Advanced thanks.

S.Wang

sushil October 21, 2008 04:47

Re: Torque calculation with fluent

Hi Wang,

I am also trying to simulate the wind turbine. could you please tell me what boundary conditions you are using and whether you are simulating with dynamic mesh or with Axi-symmetric boundary conditions?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Sushil.

mAx October 21, 2008 04:55

report/forces here you can compute moments on your blades

s wang October 21, 2008 04:59

Hi Sushil,

Thanks for your email. Actually, my interests focus on the Vertical axis wind turbine. I guess you are talking on the Horizontal axis wind turbine, right? In my opinion, we could use the moving mesh or moving reference frame instead of dynamic mesh.

Cheers,

Wang

s wang October 21, 2008 05:03

Dear mAx,

Thank you for your email.

Yes, I could use the menu you mentioned to calculate torque. However, what if my simulation is unsteady and needs to calculate the moment with time?

Regards,

Wang

mAx October 21, 2008 05:32

then you can write your torque in a file at each time step check the box "Write...", then you need a udf for writing your results at each time step. perhaps, there is another way, but this one works

s wang October 21, 2008 05:34

Dear mAx,

Thanks for your reply. I will try your advice.

Best regards,

Shengyi Wang

sushil October 22, 2008 00:07

Hi Wang,

Thanks for the inputs. Yes I am working on horizontal axis turbine. What BC's you are using..?

Have a nice time.

Regards, Sushil.

s wang October 22, 2008 07:34

Hi Sushil,

In my case, I prefer the pressure-far-field as the inlet BC. By the way, I am not performing the 2D simulations and my domain is a parabola.

Pls give some advice if possible.

cheers,

Shengyi, Wang

Leeds

s wang October 22, 2008 07:37

Sorry, there is a mistake in the above message.

It should be 'I am now performing a 2D simulation.', not 'I am not...'

Regards, Shengyi

p.bhushan2727@gmail.com January 14, 2013 10:37

how to calclutate torue in fluent

5 Attachment(s)
dear frnds plz tell me hoe to calculate torque in fluent i am working on vertical axis wind trubine h shaped daarruis type so for that concern ia m doing 2d simulations unsteday for that i am giving cl ,cd cm moniters on blades so will plz tell me how to find out direct torque in flunt or how to co relate it 2 moment ia m aatching paper and some images of my mesh so it will clear u piture of problem
plz tell me it needs udf to find torue on blades :confused: :confused: :confused: