CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   behavior of two phase flow in a pipe (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/71563-behavior-two-phase-flow-pipe.html)

Sonia84 January 7, 2010 13:54

behavior of two phase flow in a pipe
 
Hi,

Please,
Could you help me?
I try to modelise the behavior of two phase flow in a pipe. And I don't know how to do this correctly.
The issue is:
In a pipe (DN 100) flows a vapor with a given flowrate (different flowrates will have to simulate).
At a givent time t appears (this is not modelise) a volume of water (1 liter) (at t the volume is unity, like a slug) with a defined velocity different of the vapor one.
I would like modelize :
- the behavior of the two phase flow along the pipe
- the velocity of the water phase

Must I use the VOF model, in transient ....
thank you for your help,
:confused:
Sonia

CFDtoy January 8, 2010 10:29

mp flow
 
Hi there,
Could you present a schematic for this process? if you want to capture the exact interface of liquid - air , you should go for VOF. If you want to simulate mixing and provided that the velocities of the phases are pretty close ..use mixture model, else, use Eulerian-eulerian formulation to model the two phase flow.

btw, If it is something like liquid and gas flowing in the same duct - separately and you wnt to capture wave effects on the interface etc..should go for VOF modeling.


Thanks,

CFDtoy
visit http://cfdtoy.blogspot.com


Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonia84 (Post 241811)
Hi,

Please,
Could you help me?
I try to modelise the behavior of two phase flow in a pipe. And I don't know how to do this correctly.
The issue is:
In a pipe (DN 100) flows a vapor with a given flowrate (different flowrates will have to simulate).
At a givent time t appears (this is not modelise) a volume of water (1 liter) (at t the volume is unity, like a slug) with a defined velocity different of the vapor one.
I would like modelize :
- the behavior of the two phase flow along the pipe
- the velocity of the water phase

Must I use the VOF model, in transient ....
thank you for your help,
:confused:
Sonia


Sonia84 January 9, 2010 12:37

diphasique flow in horizontal pipe (mix and developemnt)
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
thanks for your reply.

I attachment you could find a schema of my issue.
I want to capture the mix of the two flw and then the velocity of the phase ansd then the behavior of the flow (stratified, slug or droplets) in function of the distance foolowing the velocity of each phase.


thanks,

Sonia

CFDtoy January 9, 2010 20:35

mixing problem
 
Hi there,
You should definitely consider using Eulerian-Eulerian scheme which will predict mixing of phases and + consider the velocity slip between phases. VOF scheme could work too - but when you impinge air and water, the initial level of disturbance can be captured only with very fine grids (drop formation etc) .Basic liquid slug flow with the droplet distribution (average distribution) can be figured using the Eulerian model.

with VOF it assumes the both the phases share the same velocity and mixed at the continuum level. Not sure if you want that.

But, if you want to predict droplets inside water or air bubbles in water to a fine level go for VOF.

The models are easy to set up and convergence for these problems can be achieved pretty well. So, may be you can try both methods and post results here.. Looks like a nice study for everyone to see which model gives the required result.

I have some information on VOF studies in my blog.

Let me know if you require any other information.

Thanks,

CFDtoy
Visit http://cfdtoy.blogspot.com




Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonia84 (Post 241973)
Hi,
thanks for your reply.

I attachment you could find a schema of my issue.
I want to capture the mix of the two flw and then the velocity of the phase ansd then the behavior of the flow (stratified, slug or droplets) in function of the distance foolowing the velocity of each phase.


thanks,

Sonia


CFDtoy January 10, 2010 19:05

work on mixing
 
Hi,
I came across this work on mixing / slug flow / droplet dynamics. Based on your flow profile VOF can be used. Take a look here

http://www.flow3d.com/pdfs/tp/micro_...i-Bib12-09.pdf


/CFDtoy
visit http://cfdtoy.blogspot.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFDtoy (Post 241999)
Hi there,
You should definitely consider using Eulerian-Eulerian scheme which will predict mixing of phases and + consider the velocity slip between phases. VOF scheme could work too - but when you impinge air and water, the initial level of disturbance can be captured only with very fine grids (drop formation etc) .Basic liquid slug flow with the droplet distribution (average distribution) can be figured using the Eulerian model.

with VOF it assumes the both the phases share the same velocity and mixed at the continuum level. Not sure if you want that.

But, if you want to predict droplets inside water or air bubbles in water to a fine level go for VOF.

The models are easy to set up and convergence for these problems can be achieved pretty well. So, may be you can try both methods and post results here.. Looks like a nice study for everyone to see which model gives the required result.

I have some information on VOF studies in my blog.

Let me know if you require any other information.

Thanks,

CFDtoy
Visit http://cfdtoy.blogspot.com


ahmad786 September 17, 2013 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFDtoy (Post 242061)
Hi,
I came across this work on mixing / slug flow / droplet dynamics. Based on your flow profile VOF can be used. Take a look here

http://www.flow3d.com/pdfs/tp/micro_...i-Bib12-09.pdf


/CFDtoy
visit http://cfdtoy.blogspot.com




CFD toy,
Hi CFD TOY.I am facing a hell of problems in simulating a flow in a steam turbine.The conditions for steam are:
1)-Dry saturated at inlet (P=5bar) of turbine with quality of "1"
Conditions of steam at the exit of turbine are :
2)-wet steam (P=1bar) with quality of "0.91"
Can u help me which model in CFX will be best in my case;
Secondly I am facing problems in assigning flow materials in CFX.
Currently I am using
"steam5vl" IAPWS -f97 libray as fluid material for my case.Is it right??
Should I use two materials steam gas and steam liquid from IAPWS library independently ??.Should I use homogeneous model or not?? Plz help me how should i assign flow materials for my case?? PLZ.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59.