CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   Question about reference values --> Area (multi element wing) (

Zweeper March 28, 2010 08:39

Question about reference values --> Area (multi element wing)
1 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody!

I have a question about the reference values for an 3D multi element rear wing.

First of all, if i analyse a single element airfoil under different angles of attack, my reference area of my wing is always the chord-line times the length of the airfoil right? doesn't matter which angle of attack my airfoil has?!

But what happens in the case of an multi element rear wing? (attachment)
my logical thoughts say me that i just have to summarize all the single element areas by calculating the single elements as described above.

Is this right or i am doing an mistake there?

Kind regards!

jack1980 March 28, 2010 10:42

A common choice is the planform area. This is the area of your wing projected on the ground when the wing is in horizontal position. In this definition it does not depend on AoA.

You might use: report > projected areas

Good luck!

Zweeper March 28, 2010 10:46

so, if my wing is in horizontal position where this is the x direction, you mean i should use the projected area in x direction?

jack1980 March 28, 2010 11:16

Hi, that is correct, only to my understanding your projection should be in the z-direction. (Or in the y-direction for a 2d case.)

So for a 3d case let fluent do the projection along the z direction. Make sure to have the resolution small enough.

For a 2d case simply take the difference between the x-coordinates of the first leading edge and the last trailing edge of your wing.

Zweeper March 28, 2010 11:22

hm, if my chord-line is in the x direction,
the thickness is in the y direction
and the depth is in the z direction

i thought i should chose the y direction for the 3d case?

jack1980 March 28, 2010 11:23

your right

Zweeper March 28, 2010 11:25

okay, thanks a lot!

jack1980 March 28, 2010 11:29

Good luck!