CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   symmetry boundary condition in fluent (

v_h_memar April 12, 2010 02:54

symmetry boundary condition in fluent
I want analysis a 3D fan in fluent but I want to model only one of two blades(the fan has two blade) , but when I use symmetry boundary condition, the solution does not converge. and I think it is logic because in fan we do not have symmetry condition , rather we have rotation axis , but in 3D we can not use axis condition. is any body can help me ?

coglione April 12, 2010 07:16

As you already realized, there is no symmetry condition for your given flow problem. Maybe a rotationally periodical boundary condition can be utilized to reduce the computational domain to a 180 segment?

v_h_memar April 12, 2010 07:57

How can do rotationally periodical boundary condition on my problem ?

coglione April 12, 2010 09:26

It depends on the periodicity of your actual geometry and flow field. Have a look at the UserGuid chapter 7.15 whether periodic bc are applicable for your problem. If so, you have to obey some rules when generating the mesh in gambit (mesh hardlink).

v_h_memar April 14, 2010 03:45

Fluent Err
Hi Cogline
I do hardlink mesh and after that exported mesh, but when I import in fluent , we have an Error , can you guess what is the problem ?
you can receive mesh file and gambit file(dbs) from below link.

coglione April 14, 2010 04:06

Which error?

v_h_memar April 14, 2010 04:13

Originally Posted by coglione (Post 254540)
Which error?

can you download file from bellow link ?

hhh August 30, 2012 09:08

boundary condition (symmetry vs periodic doubt)
Dear friends,
i am doing 3D wing analysis, i have doubt on boundary conditions in fluent ie both symmetry and periodic, anybody have the answer please let me know briefly,for what kind of purpose to use symmetry & periodic boundary conditions, please tell any example with problem.