CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   Fedora 14 and Gambit 2.4.6 crash on startup (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/83308-fedora-14-gambit-2-4-6-crash-startup.html)

lnastalek December 22, 2010 23:05

Fedora 14 and Gambit 2.4.6 crash on startup
 
Hi all. Recently I have switched to Fedora Core 14, and to my biggest surprise I am now unable to start off with Gambit. Aside from dependencies needed resolving, e.g. the libXm.so.3's and such, in former Fedora releases Gambit worked perfectly; in FC14, whenever I try to launch the preprocessor it throws a message:

Received exception: Assertion failed in /usr/local/fluent/build/gambit/dev/gambit_lnamd64/include/BPPTREE_CC.hpp, line 288: status == 0

I am clueless as to it's origin. As far as i reckon, all the dependencies are resolved, all the packages needed are installed... unless I have missed something I'm unaware of. I've also applied the updates - no effect at all.
The very same issue haunts my colleague as well (also working on FC14 since very recently).

Any clue would be mostly appreciated.


Merry Xmas everyone celebrating it, and happy other holidays to everyone else.

boothtm January 17, 2011 17:42

hi lnastalek,

Did you solve this problem? I realize i'm a few weeks late, but i have gambit running on my fc14 x86_64 install.

If you don't have this problem anymore then feel free to ignore the rest of this reply.

While i don't know the solution to your exact problem maybe i can help.

Did you and your colleague do a 'fresh' install of fedora 14 or an update?

I just did a fresh install of fedora 14 on my system and the only problem i had launching Gambit was the regular libXm.so.3 problem.

maybe I got lucky when i was troubleshooting my problem....i'm not even sure if i needed all of this to fix the problem.
I fixed the libXm.so.3 problem this way:
Code:

yum install openmotif.x86_64 openmotif-mwm.x86_64
yum install xorg-x11-drv-catalyst.x86_64

The installs above didn't fix it until i ran this install:
download openmotif22-libs-2.2.4-28.x86_64.rpm from rpm.pbone.net
Code:

rpm -ivh openmotif22-libs-2.2.4-28.x86_64.rpm
i also wrote down all of the updates and extra installations i did unrelated to this if you want it.

lnastalek January 18, 2011 04:12

Hi boothtm

Frankly speaking i don't have any means of sorting this out anymore. Since last update my fedora's gone dead (now that's the puzzle). So i had to use some spare space on the disk and install another OS, this time Ubuntu for a change (though at first wasn't mostly pleased with it, i managed to get used to it). Here the problem does not occur.

I will, provided the colleague agrees (he gets very touchy when it comes to tackling with his laptop), try to apply your solution to his system and give a feedback.

Before he returns from his vacation though, I may only speculate (unless I resurrect my Fedora 14) how Gambit would co-op with the solution you've given. The speculations are however optimistic, since I've found myself to believe that the problem was with the graphics after all.

Thanks for the response - it never is too late ;)

P.S. yes, it was a fresh install (in both cases).

red_lemon January 18, 2011 18:58

Sorry but only Red Hat and Suse are supported OS. Your experience is a reason why FC is not supported and Gambit support will no longer be extended.

lnastalek January 19, 2011 05:09

At first, Hi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_lemon (Post 291034)
Your experience is a reason why FC is not supported and Gambit support will no longer be extended.

I think you've lost me there. Fedora isn't supported due to my lack of experience?

The Gambit part I am perfectly aware of. I got however used to it and failed
to transfer to Design Modeler so far. Besides, both Fluent 12 and 13 do import the meshes.

boothtm January 20, 2011 23:17

Inastalek,

I think what red_lemon meant was that the problem you experienced was the reason why fedora is not longer supported <please correct me if i'm wrong....maybe Inastaleks lack of experience IS the reason ANSYS is no longer supporting Fedora :rolleyes: >

however it does seem a little odd to say that Fedora isn't supported but Red Hat is....Fedora is basically the front runner to Red Hat. I guess this could be a reason it would be hard to keep up with the changes, but i think just because it's not supported doesn't mean that it won't work on it. I got mine to work on Fedora 14.

I do like DM, but i'm still not that proficient at it yet, so when i'm in a hurry i go back to Gambit/Tgrid which is what i know best.

Sorry to get distracted from the point.......

After i restarted my computer for another reason i lost the ability to view 1 desktop across both my monitors, and the catalyst driver was the reason.

after i uninstalled it:
Code:

yum remove xorg-x11-drv-catalyst.x86_64
my monitors worked fine and i was still able to use gambit succesfully, so this was not the reason mine worked and yours did not.

i looked around on the internet a little and it looks like the .hpp extension is a compiled C++ file extension.

sorry i couldn't help more. you could always try to uninstall fluent/gambit/tgrid or whatever came with your license and reinstall it. sometimes that works for me.
Actually do you have a newer version of fluent installed on the same machine? (maybe DM?) could these have some sort of conflict? i'm pretty much just grasping at straws....

good luck

ginggs May 3, 2012 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnastalek (Post 288215)
Received exception: Assertion failed in /usr/local/fluent/build/gambit/dev/gambit_lnamd64/include/BPPTREE_CC.hpp, line 288: status == 0

We got this exact same error message after upgrading from Ubuntu 11.04 to Ubuntu 11.10.

We never managed to find the solution, but after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS today, Gambit miraculously started working again.

gindar March 17, 2014 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnastalek (Post 288215)
Hi all. Recently I have switched to Fedora Core 14, and to my biggest surprise I am now unable to start off with Gambit. Aside from dependencies needed resolving, e.g. the libXm.so.3's and such, in former Fedora releases Gambit worked perfectly; in FC14, whenever I try to launch the preprocessor it throws a message:

Received exception: Assertion failed in /usr/local/fluent/build/gambit/dev/gambit_lnamd64/include/BPPTREE_CC.hpp, line 288: status == 0

I am clueless as to it's origin. As far as i reckon, all the dependencies are resolved, all the packages needed are installed... unless I have missed something I'm unaware of. I've also applied the updates - no effect at all.
The very same issue haunts my colleague as well (also working on FC14 since very recently).

Any clue would be mostly appreciated.


Merry Xmas everyone celebrating it, and happy other holidays to everyone else.

Howto get the gambit 2.4.6 package for linux?Thx

ghost82 March 17, 2014 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by gindar (Post 480377)
Howto get the gambit 2.4.6 package for linux?Thx

Download it from the ansys support center.
Downloads-->previous releases-->full products-->older products releases

gindar March 17, 2014 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost82 (Post 480443)
Download it from the ansys support center.
Downloads-->previous releases-->full products-->older products releases

Thank you, but I do not find the link of gambit.

ghost82 March 17, 2014 09:22

https://support.ansys.com/AnsysCusto...s/Gambit+2.4.6

gindar March 17, 2014 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost82 (Post 480460)

Thank you.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20.