CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   Modelling two fluids in Fluent (

skaboy607 January 25, 2011 19:46

Modelling two fluids in Fluent

I hope someone is able to help me with a model I am trying to run. My problem is this.

One pipe 1m long with a given diameter. This pipe contains a certain fluid, properties known that will undergo a solidifcation and melting process. In the center of this pipe is another pipe which has water flowing through it at a given temperature. I can't seem to set this up in Fluent.

The water pipe doesnt seem to be a problem (if i was modelling just the water) set an inlet, outlet and wall BC's. For the other pipe I have I wall condition but how do I define the fluid within that pipe? There doesnt seem to be the option to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

vig January 26, 2011 00:51

I am not sure, but thread should be some option in the cell zone panel to hook the fluid material.

-mAx- January 26, 2011 02:18

in Gambit you can specify a continuum.
Just pick your volume and define it separately as the other one.
Later you will be able to affect your water on this continuum (Fluent side)

skaboy607 January 26, 2011 13:25

I have modelled it in Gambit. Using workbench, I have imported an IGES into design modeller, meshed using workbench and then loaded into Fluent?

How would I go about doing this now?

-mAx- January 27, 2011 03:01

Originally Posted by skaboy607 (Post 292312)
I have modelled it in Gambit.

If you modelled it with Gambit, then export your mesh file (*.msh) and read it from Fluent

skaboy607 January 27, 2011 06:38

Originally Posted by -mAx- (Post 292393)
If you modelled it with Gambit, then export your mesh file (*.msh) and read it from Fluent

Sorry, typo on my behalf. I have modelled it in the CAD program NX, exported as an IGES and then imported into design modeller.

-mAx- January 27, 2011 06:46

No experience with design modeller.

skaboy607 January 27, 2011 06:55

what about the meshing ability within workbench? I can define regions in there?

No one seems to know anything about how to use these two programs or if they do they are very secretive!