CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   FLUENT (
-   -   Automatically start new calculation after the one before is completed? (FLUENT 12.1) (

mars21t March 14, 2011 03:26

Automatically start new calculation after the one before is completed? (FLUENT 12.1)

I have already prepared some case-files. When one calculation is done, I want that fluent reads in the next case-file and starts the new calculation automatically. Can somebody help me with this problem?

I have already tried to use macros within the “Automatic Solution Initialization and Case Modification Dialog Box”. I was able to read in the next case-file automatically after calculating some time-steps, but after the case-file was red I got this massage: “Error: Update_Time_Level: invalid data”.

Maybe it’s better to use Ansys-Workbench to do this, but I’ve no idea how to do this.

I would be very happy if anybody could help me with this problem.

Thank you!

Amir March 14, 2011 08:50

Hi Tobias,
you can implement a journal file to automate FLUENT. you can prepare your journal file with a simple FORTRAN code... .

mars21t March 14, 2011 10:10

Hello Amir,

thank you for your quick answer.
Actually I‘ve just read about the batch mode in FLUENT and the options to create transcript and journal files. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any examples how to write my own journal file with the appropriate codes in a simple Editor. Can you maybe tell me where I can find some examples for a code which I have to write in my journal file? I've never used codes before, so I've no idea how to do this, yet.
But I thought maybe it's possible to let fluent create a journal file while I'm doing the steps which I want fluent to do automatically later. Then I thought of having a look on this journal file and copy the code in my editor to create my own journal file.
Is this possible or can you give me some suggestions how I can get the code I need to solve my problem?

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Amir March 14, 2011 11:54

you are right, you can save your steps in a file and use that as a journal file but it uses a GUI syntax and I don't prefer(sometimes it's confusing).
the other way (better one) is to use a combination of aliases and/or TUI commands in your journal. here's a part of simple journal file that I created before:

rcd data-0001.cas
/file/a/c 0
/file/a/d 0
/solve/set/eq/u yes
/solve/set/eq/f no
/define/models/dm no
/solve/dti 1    15
/file/int/write  yes no uds-0 ()
/grid/ro -6.283185307179586232 0 0 0 0 0 1
/file/int/write no uds-0 ()
rcd data-0002.cas

the commands start with / are TUI ones that you can implement yourself to check their validity.

mars21t March 27, 2011 09:52

Hi Amir,
thank you very much.
I finally found the answer here in this forum: de.3F