CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   FLUENT (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/)
-   -   Modeling the flow patterns in a membrane bioreactor for wastewater treatment tutorial (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent/91458-modeling-flow-patterns-membrane-bioreactor-wastewater-treatment-tutorial.html)

shadyenany August 11, 2011 11:09

Modeling the flow patterns in a membrane bioreactor for wastewater treatment tutorial
 
Hi, my project is modeling the flow patterns in a membrane bioreactor for wastewater treatment using finite volume method. I'm using fluent (workbench) software for the simulation, however i don't have much experience to do this since it's my first time to use fluent. What am asking for is a fluent tutorial which is discussing how i can generate mesh or grid for the reactor i've drawn and how to use fluent for post processing and getting results.

P.s: Notice that what i've done so far is drawing the reactor and imported it into work bence (fluent)..!!

Many thanks,
s.e.

niriosrat September 2, 2011 04:09

Hi,

The mesh generation depends on what are you trying to model/capture with the CFD. Could you be more specific of what are you planning to do?

ramakant September 2, 2011 11:54

Modeling the flow patterns in a membrane bioreactor for wastewater treatment tutorial
 
hi....

please tell me more details...


thanks...

niriosrat September 5, 2011 03:09

Which type of MBR system are you trying to model (i.e. HF, HS, MT)?

shadyenany September 13, 2011 11:09

Hi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by niriosrat (Post 322615)
Hi,

The mesh generation depends on what are you trying to model/capture with the CFD. Could you be more specific of what are you planning to do?

Hi,

Currently I am working on my project which is modelling of flow patterns in membrane bio-reactor, simply I've drawn a cuboid tank and there are 4 membranes with a stirrer ( rotating mixer) placed inside ,on the base. and I've imported it successfully into the Gambit 3.2.16. the problem is within the geometry decomposition (operation or geometry command button) so I can not build the solid faces however I chose all the edges and faces successfully but it gave me an error saying that can't connect the edges in the wireframe. and If i run the meshing directly it doesn't do the mesh for the whole body but for the base and 1 face only out of the four boundary faces and so can't be imported after in fluent.

Any Ideas or Help Please?!!!!

I'd be very thankful if u can support any dummy tutorials for mixing tank ( multiphase)

Kind Regards;
S.E

shadyenany September 13, 2011 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by niriosrat (Post 322876)
Which type of MBR system are you trying to model (i.e. HF, HS, MT)?

I have no idea what are this abbreviations stand for? however it's more simple than that.. am trying to model the flow patterns inside a cuboid tank into 3 phases (water only, water + air, water +air + solid). I've placed 4 membranes and stirrer mixer which is not static part inside the tank.

shadyenany September 13, 2011 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramakant (Post 322677)
hi....

please tell me more details...


thanks...

what details do u require?

Many thanks for reply

niriosrat September 14, 2011 02:42

Hi,

The abbreviations are:

HF: Hollow Fiber, FS: Flat sheet and MT: Multitube

For what I understand you have a problem of importing your geometry in Gambit, that is why you cannot connect the edges (to make the wireframe and form the faces/volumes). Usually, I draw the geometry in gambit if is not too complicate, so I recommend you to do that, so you can avoid this problem or you can look to some tutorial of how to import the geometry into Gambit.

Also, I think is over the top having a stirrer and an air diffuser, as the air will give you enough mixing (airlift) and created liquid recirculation.

You can send me an email with your drawing to

niriosrat "at" yahoo "dot" com

so I can have a look.

shadyenany September 14, 2011 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by niriosrat (Post 324042)
Hi,

The abbreviations are:

HF: Hollow Fiber, FS: Flat sheet and MT: Multitube

For what I understand you have a problem of importing your geometry in Gambit, that is why you cannot connect the edges (to make the wireframe and form the faces/volumes). Usually, I draw the geometry in gambit if is not too complicate, so I recommend you to do that, so you can avoid this problem or you can look to some tutorial of how to import the geometry into Gambit.

Also, I think is over the top having a stirrer and an air diffuser, as the air will give you enough mixing (airlift) and created liquid recirculation.

You can send me an email with your drawing to

niriosrat "at" yahoo "dot" com

so I can have a look.

Check your email mate :).. looking forward to hear from you very soon..

thanks for your help anyways

shadyenany September 15, 2011 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by niriosrat (Post 324042)
Hi,

The abbreviations are:

HF: Hollow Fiber, FS: Flat sheet and MT: Multitube

For what I understand you have a problem of importing your geometry in Gambit, that is why you cannot connect the edges (to make the wireframe and form the faces/volumes). Usually, I draw the geometry in gambit if is not too complicate, so I recommend you to do that, so you can avoid this problem or you can look to some tutorial of how to import the geometry into Gambit.

Also, I think is over the top having a stirrer and an air diffuser, as the air will give you enough mixing (airlift) and created liquid recirculation.

You can send me an email with your drawing to

niriosrat "at" yahoo "dot" com

so I can have a look.

please just let me know if u've received the email or not?!

thanks


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43.