Home > Forums > FLUENT

natural convection in 2-D rectangular cavity

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   August 23, 2011, 09:24
Smile natural convection in 2-D rectangular cavity

samuraijack is on a distinguished road
hello..!!
i am new to fluent and i want to know how to solve natural convection problem in a rectangular cavity.
out of the four walls left is heated and right wall is cold.
top and bottom walls are insulated.
what should be the boundary conditions and which kind of model should i adopt to obtain the solution.
thanks in advance..!
samuraijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 24, 2011, 10:28

NormalVector
NormalVector is on a distinguished road
The tutorials for FLUENT may be of use to you, there is one that models natural convection but it also includes radiation. Check tutorial 5 here:

https://www.sharcnet.ca/Software/Flu...g/main_pre.htm

The boundary conditions for your case may be just as they sound; a hot wall at temperature T_hot and a cold wall at T_cold. Make sure you enable the energy equation under the "Models" tab. There are also ways to define properties as a function of temperature (under the "Materials" tab) like the boussinesq approximation, ideal gas, etc depending on the type of fluid you're using.

I also have a question for others on this forum about what solver to use for natural convection... pressure based or density based? In the tutorial above they use pressure based but I'm not sure which is appropriate for what Rayleigh Numbers.
NormalVector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 24, 2011, 10:46

samuraijack is on a distinguished road
@normalvector.. thanks a lot... i already tried that tutorial and now i want to get the results for higher reynolds number so that i can get secondary vortices at bottom left and bottom right corner of cavity.. guide!
samuraijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boundary conditions, cavity problem, fluent, natural convection