CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > FLUENT

heat flux problem

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 3, 2012, 10:02
Default heat flux problem
  #1
New Member
 
Yu-Pei Chen
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 6
ypchen is on a distinguished road
Hi, everybody, my model is a cylinder tank and can be assumed 2-D axisymmetric(the axis is centerline). The tank wall (parellel the axis) has a heat flux 70W, so I have to calculate w/m2 to correspond the unit in FLUENT, but I don't know how to determine the area, if the wall length is H, how do I get the area ?

Thank you very much.
ypchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2012, 21:48
Default
  #2
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 6
sunflower is on a distinguished road
If the diameter of cylinder is D, the area should be A=Pi*D*H, and heat flux is 70/A.




Quote:
Originally Posted by ypchen View Post
Hi, everybody, my model is a cylinder tank and can be assumed 2-D axisymmetric(the axis is centerline). The tank wall (parellel the axis) has a heat flux 70W, so I have to calculate w/m2 to correspond the unit in FLUENT, but I don't know how to determine the area, if the wall length is H, how do I get the area ?

Thank you very much.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2012, 22:12
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Yu-Pei Chen
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 6
ypchen is on a distinguished road
Thank for your reply, Sunflower.
I know the surface area is pi*D*H, and I had set the value as 70/A, but the simulation result is not good, so I am not sure whether the relation is what I want, maybe there is another problem in my case. thank you !
ypchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2012, 22:20
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 6
sunflower is on a distinguished road
What do you mean by saying that simulation result is not good. Is the temperature too low or high? Can you describe the problems?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ypchen View Post
Thank for your reply, Sunflower.
I know the surface area is pi*D*H, and I had set the value as 70/A, but the simulation result is not good, so I am not sure whether the relation is what I want, maybe there is another problem in my case. thank you !
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2012, 22:41
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Yu-Pei Chen
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 6
ypchen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
What do you mean by saying that simulation result is not good. Is the temperature too low or high? Can you describe the problems?
I calculate the surface area as 0.000971 m2 (D = 6mm, H = 50 mm), the surface area include side and top without bottom. so I can get the heat flux = Q/A = 70/0.000971 = 72090.63 W/m2. because of the wall is cooling the inside fluid, so I set the flux as -72090.63. after calculation, the temperature near the wall is too low, below 293 K, but the fluid inside the tank should not below 293 K. I think the flux is too large, so maybe I need to use UDF to control the heat flux,for example, if the heat transfer rate reach some value, the flux = 0.
ypchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2012, 22:55
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 6
sunflower is on a distinguished road
You define the negative heat flux on the cylinder wall, so temperature of fluid inside the tank will become lower and lower if there is no heat source inside the fluid. So the current simulation result is reasonable. It is not what you expected but it is correct.

To maintain the temperature of fluid inside the tank to a certain level, there should be a heat source to provide the energy. My suggestion is to go back to physical model to check if something is missing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ypchen View Post
I calculate the surface area as 0.000971 m2 (D = 6mm, H = 50 mm), the surface area include side and top without bottom. so I can get the heat flux = Q/A = 70/0.000971 = 72090.63 W/m2. because of the wall is cooling the inside fluid, so I set the flux as -72090.63. after calculation, the temperature near the wall is too low, below 293 K, but the fluid inside the tank should not below 293 K. I think the flux is too large, so maybe I need to use UDF to control the heat flux,for example, if the heat transfer rate reach some value, the flux = 0.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2012, 23:02
Default
  #7
New Member
 
Yu-Pei Chen
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 6
ypchen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
You define the negative heat flux on the cylinder wall, so temperature of fluid inside the tank will become lower and lower if there is no heat source inside the fluid. So the current simulation result is reasonable. It is not what you expected but it is correct.

To maintain the temperature of fluid inside the tank to a certain level, there should be a heat source to provide the energy. My suggestion is to go back to physical model to check if something is missing.
Thank for your suggestion. actually, there is a heat source in the tank, but the heat remove from the tank is higher than the system generate, so I think I should set a stop point.
ypchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2012, 23:06
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 6
sunflower is on a distinguished road
Are you running a transient case or steady state one? What is the meaning of stop point? I am just curious.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ypchen View Post
Thank for your suggestion. actually, there is a heat source in the tank, but the heat remove from the tank is higher than the system generate, so I think I should set a stop point.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2012, 23:32
Default
  #9
New Member
 
Yu-Pei Chen
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 6
ypchen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
Are you running a transient case or steady state one? What is the meaning of stop point? I am just curious.
The case is transient sate. My cylinder tank is a heat pipe, the heat pipe is put in a hydride tank, and the tank has a heat source so I use the heat pipe to remove heat from the hydride tank. The heat pipe has a maximum heat transfer rate as 70W. When the heat transfer rate across side and top surface reach 70W, the heat pipe will dryout, it means the heat pipe would not working so the heat flux equal to zero. I think the reason why I get the wrong temperature is the heat pipe still working while it reach the maximum value.
ypchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heat flux balance problem zhouziyi7123 FLUENT 5 May 21, 2014 03:37
Problem with heat flux and Symmetry Plane Zuixy STAR-CCM+ 0 March 4, 2011 06:01
Heat flux in ansys cfx juliom OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 2 April 14, 2009 14:30
WALL HEAT FLUX V.S. HEAT FLUX tommy CFX 0 December 15, 2005 09:14
heat flux to heat rejection azmir CD-adapco 0 June 23, 2004 20:53


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20.