CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Hardware

Power Outage

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   June 28, 2011, 12:28
Default Power Outage
  #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 5
CeceMarie is on a distinguished road
What are most people doing to ensure a loss of power at the office does not result in a computer/server power loss in the middle of a long solver run?

Specifically, what kind of battery backup will last overnight and satisfy the power required for a CFX server machine?

AND/OR is there some routine I can implement that will either:
1. automatically go through a stop-and-save-and-close procedure if my small battery backup kicks on and I am not at the office to manually stop and save the run? or
2. notify me of the power outage event so that I can get to the machine or remotely access the machine and stop, save, and close the run myself before my little battery backup fails.

(I am running Ansys 13 workbench)
CeceMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 29, 2011, 00:19
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
sail's Avatar
 
Vieri Abolaffio
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Always on the move.
Posts: 308
Rep Power: 7
sail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeceMarie View Post
What are most people doing to ensure a loss of power at the office does not result in a computer/server power loss in the middle of a long solver run?

Specifically, what kind of battery backup will last overnight and satisfy the power required for a CFX server machine?

AND/OR is there some routine I can implement that will either:
1. automatically go through a stop-and-save-and-close procedure if my small battery backup kicks on and I am not at the office to manually stop and save the run? or
2. notify me of the power outage event so that I can get to the machine or remotely access the machine and stop, save, and close the run myself before my little battery backup fails.

(I am running Ansys 13 workbench)
a reasonably sized UPS will give you around 30 minutes of power (depending on hardware configuration). the recent ones have the ability to automatically shout down the pc attached after X minutes of no power and to notify to you the event via mail and/or sms.

just to give you a pointer in your ups, APC is a reliable brand. i would not buy ridicously cheap Ups: the risk is that your battery will not last as stated by the manufacture.

good luck.
sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 29, 2011, 11:32
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Rep Power: 5
CeceMarie is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the information. I will look into the auto-notification more. Any experiential info on this type of notification hardware/software would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Even if the computer is shut down properly, though, the solver will still be mid-run. Is there a way to get something in place that could stop the solver, save the workbench project, and THEN do a computer shut-down?
CeceMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   June 29, 2011, 12:43
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
sail's Avatar
 
Vieri Abolaffio
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Always on the move.
Posts: 308
Rep Power: 7
sail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeceMarie View Post
Thank you for the information. I will look into the auto-notification more. Any experiential info on this type of notification hardware/software would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
my experience in the subject is fairly limited, but for mine, it was sufficient to link it, install the software, configure the mail address and the autoshutdown on the server. pretty much straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeceMarie View Post
Even if the computer is shut down properly, though, the solver will still be mid-run. Is there a way to get something in place that could stop the solver, save the workbench project, and THEN do a computer shut-down?
not that i know of. what i tend to do is autosave frequently (i'd say around 4 h of wallclock) so in case the cluster goes down (or, more often, i exceed the queue max time) i don't loose too much.
sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
battery backup, cfx 13, power, remote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-Newtonian Power Law for Viscosity John FLUENT 5 July 16, 2014 03:49
Modeling the power sources saisanthoshm88 CFX 2 April 6, 2011 18:46
Wind Power Frank Grassi FLUENT 0 October 12, 2007 11:20
power curve of windmills with CFD sayid FLUENT 2 March 28, 2007 09:55
Intl Conf Computational Methods in Fluid Power Jacek Stecki Main CFD Forum 0 November 10, 2002 05:49


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01.