CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Main CFD Forum

LES of Turbulent channel flow

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   July 21, 2012, 02:33
Default LES of Turbulent channel flow
  #1
New Member
 
Sarlak
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 5
chivaee is on a distinguished road
Hello CFD guys,

I'm trying to generate turbulent channel flow using wall resolved LES simulation on a collocated block structured, multi-grid accelerated finite volume code. I defined periodic boundaries on the horizontal plane, symmetry on top and no slip wall (no model) for the bottom and started with a log profile with some random noise (10-50% magnitude). The problem is the fluctuations are damped rather quickly. u_tau=1, domain: 0.5pi x 1 x pi with 48*48*48 grids (uniform in horizontal direction and stretched in the vertical with the first grid in yplus=0.25).

This could partly make sense as the initial fluctuations are not correlated etc. but there is also a suspicion that since the code is is not pseudo-spectral (unlike many available codes) and is collocated, it's highly dissipative and also not kinetic energy conserving.

What is your opinion? Do you have any idea how I should generate the correct turbulence filed?

My code has also the problem that the finer the mesh is, the more dissipative it becomes, isn't it strange?
chivaee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 21, 2012, 03:49
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,640
Rep Power: 23
FMDenaro will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivaee View Post
Hello CFD guys,

I'm trying to generate turbulent channel flow using wall resolved LES simulation on a collocated block structured, multi-grid accelerated finite volume code. I defined periodic boundaries on the horizontal plane, symmetry on top and no slip wall (no model) for the bottom and started with a log profile with some random noise (10-50% magnitude). The problem is the fluctuations are damped rather quickly. u_tau=1, domain: 0.5pi x 1 x pi with 48*48*48 grids (uniform in horizontal direction and stretched in the vertical with the first grid in yplus=0.25).

This could partly make sense as the initial fluctuations are not correlated etc. but there is also a suspicion that since the code is is not pseudo-spectral (unlike many available codes) and is collocated, it's highly dissipative and also not kinetic energy conserving.

What is your opinion? Do you have any idea how I should generate the correct turbulence filed?

My code has also the problem that the finer the mesh is, the more dissipative it becomes, isn't it strange?

The first issue is that LES is a 3D simulation, you must solve the entire 3D channel, no simmetry at half-height ... you are forcing a false solution
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 21, 2012, 07:14
Default
  #3
Senior Member
 
cfdnewbie
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 551
Rep Power: 11
cfdnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivaee View Post
Hello CFD guys,


My code has also the problem that the finer the mesh is, the more dissipative it becomes, isn't it strange?

How did you determine that? Is the code correctly verified?
cfdnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 21, 2012, 16:46
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Sarlak
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 5
chivaee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdnewbie View Post
How did you determine that? Is the code correctly verified?
Well the code is verified before by other researchers. Here I just observed if I refine the mesh, it pretty quickly becomes laminar by damping the initial perturbations ...
chivaee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 21, 2012, 16:52
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Sarlak
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Rep Power: 5
chivaee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
The first issue is that LES is a 3D simulation, you must solve the entire 3D channel, no simmetry at half-height ... you are forcing a false solution

That's a good point and I agree that LES is in fact 3D, but does it mean you are never allowed to use symmetry BC in LES? Cause I've seen quite a few papers (mainly atmospheric boundary layer simulations) that have set the top BC as a symmetric surface (I guess they've presumed that the top of the domain can be treated like a laminar flow)
chivaee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 21, 2012, 18:11
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
flotus1's Avatar
 
Alex
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,098
Rep Power: 19
flotus1 will become famous soon enoughflotus1 will become famous soon enough
There are circumstances when a symmetry boundary condition can be applied in LES. The main prerequisite is that the flow is laminar next to the boundary.
For a turbulent channel flow, this condition is not satisfied.
flotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 21, 2012, 19:38
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,640
Rep Power: 23
FMDenaro will become famous soon enough
in channel flow with LES the condition of simmetry is simply wrong and drives the flow to dissipate artificially the energy ... such a condition can be used in RANS simulation where the variable which is solved has a steady statistical meaning.

Furthermore, I suggest to run the full 3D case with and without SGS model, on the same grid, to assess the real effect of the model...
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
channel flow, les, turbulence, wall resolved

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open Channel Flow ElanMorin FLUENT 4 February 25, 2015 17:26
turbulent developed lenght in oppen channel flow zandi Main CFD Forum 0 January 9, 2010 15:52
Initial conditionfor turbulent channel flow in LES pankaj saha Main CFD Forum 0 November 30, 2007 13:04
Turbulent channel flow roberthino OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 5 August 15, 2007 08:35
Pressure drop across a turbulent channel flow shiv Main CFD Forum 0 September 21, 2005 00:52


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:45.