CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Main CFD Forum

Subgrid scale velocity

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   October 25, 2012, 08:30
Default Subgrid scale velocity
  #1
New Member
 
Ivan
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 5
Ivan is on a distinguished road
Dear all,

I would like to recover the subgrid-scale velocity in a LES in someway. I use a dynamic smagorinsky model, so an idea would be to recover it from the model itself.

The model says nu_r = cs*delta^2 * S, with S = sqrt(2*Sij*Sij) (filtered quantities). If my calculations are correct, using a Kolmogorv-like approximation, I get

u'_delta = (nu_r/delta) * cs^(-2/3).

Hope it is correct.

Nevertheless, the model is based on the modelling of the S_ij (strain tensor). My question is: if my field is NOT isotropic, may I still use this approach? Are there different ways?
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 25, 2012, 11:27
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,662
Rep Power: 23
FMDenaro will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
Dear all,

I would like to recover the subgrid-scale velocity in a LES in someway. I use a dynamic smagorinsky model, so an idea would be to recover it from the model itself.

The model says nu_r = cs*delta^2 * S, with S = sqrt(2*Sij*Sij) (filtered quantities). If my calculations are correct, using a Kolmogorv-like approximation, I get

u'_delta = (nu_r/delta) * cs^(-2/3).

Hope it is correct.

Nevertheless, the model is based on the modelling of the S_ij (strain tensor). My question is: if my field is NOT isotropic, may I still use this approach? Are there different ways?

No matter what you do, you cannot recover the subgrid velocity components in the part of the spectrum behind the Nyquist cut-off...

You can only recover the resolved wavenumbers component close to the cut-off, but only if you use a smooth filter, by using a deconvolution procedure.
If you use a spectral filter, the deconvolution is useless...
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 25, 2012, 14:16
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Ivan
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 5
Ivan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
No matter what you do, you cannot recover the subgrid velocity components in the part of the spectrum behind the Nyquist cut-off...

You can only recover the resolved wavenumbers component close to the cut-off, but only if you use a smooth filter, by using a deconvolution procedure.
If you use a spectral filter, the deconvolution is useless...
The filter I use should be a Gaussian one. So are you saying I cannot recover it from the Smagorinsky model itself? If i got it, I should use something like

u'_delta = c*abs( U_f1 - U_f2)

where U_f1 and U_f2 are the quantities fitered with 2 different filters (So U_f1 may be the one coming from the equations and U_f2 an explicit filtering of the first). But how can I know the constant c ?
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 25, 2012, 14:26
Default
  #4
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,662
Rep Power: 23
FMDenaro will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
The filter I use should be a Gaussian one. So are you saying I cannot recover it from the Smagorinsky model itself? If i got it, I should use something like

u'_delta = c*abs( U_f1 - U_f2)

where U_f1 and U_f2 are the quantities fitered with 2 different filters (So U_f1 may be the one coming from the equations and U_f2 an explicit filtering of the first). But how can I know the constant c ?
how do you say your filter is Gaussian? What kind of transfer function you have from your discretization?

The SGS model is for the unresolved tensor, V_bar V_bar - (VV)_bar, if you want an estimation of the filtered fluctuations you must compute:

V = V_bar + V' -> V'_bar = V_bar - (V_bar)_bar
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 26, 2012, 10:20
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Ivan
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 5
Ivan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMDenaro View Post
how do you say your filter is Gaussian? What kind of transfer function you have from your discretization?

The SGS model is for the unresolved tensor, V_bar V_bar - (VV)_bar, if you want an estimation of the filtered fluctuations you must compute:

V = V_bar + V' -> V'_bar = V_bar - (V_bar)_bar
The kind of filtered should be implicitely imposed by the model you are using right? Following Pope, (turbulent flows, pp.588) this should be very close to a Gaussian one for a Smagorinsky model, at least for the analytical, filtered equations...I do not know how it is modified by the discretization then.

I will use the approach you suggested to estimate the velocity!

Thank you!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   October 26, 2012, 10:48
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Filippo Maria Denaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,662
Rep Power: 23
FMDenaro will become famous soon enough
No ... the type of filter is implicitly defined by the numerical discretization. In no way the SGS model defines the filter, it is rather the opposite ....
FMDenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WSS and normal velocity gradient for the slanted pipe wanna88 FLUENT 2 October 1, 2012 22:34
Problem with time average tangential velocity in swirl flow. lakhi FLUENT 5 July 18, 2012 16:28
Scale discrete inlet velocity profile with groovyBC cboss OpenFOAM 1 June 20, 2010 13:02
Zero equation turbulence model velocity scale Kim CFX 2 February 25, 2009 10:56
what the result is negatif pressure at inlet chong chee nan FLUENT 0 December 29, 2001 06:13


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20.