CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Main CFD Forum (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/)
-   -   boundary conditions and artificial viscosity (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/132415-boundary-conditions-artificial-viscosity.html)

Joachim March 31, 2014 11:56

boundary conditions and artificial viscosity
 
Hey everyone!

I am using the Jameson dissipation terms in my solver, and I was wondering what to do at the boundaries. I read in some papers that the dissipation was sometime set to zero at the wall. Why is that so? why shouldn't I compute the value of the dissipation term at the wall assuming that u = 0 (viscous)?

I guess that at the inlet/outlet, I can simply compute the dissipation terms from the boundary values.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Joachim

FMDenaro March 31, 2014 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim (Post 483050)
Hey everyone!

I am using the Jameson dissipation terms in my solver, and I was wondering what to do at the boundaries. I read in some papers that the dissipation was sometime set to zero at the wall. Why is that so? why shouldn't I compute the value of the dissipation term at the wall assuming that u = 0 (viscous)?

I guess that at the inlet/outlet, I can simply compute the dissipation terms from the boundary values.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Joachim


artificial dissipation is just a trick to stabilize the numerical solution across zones where strong gradients are present and can generate oscillations, so it should be added only locally

Joachim March 31, 2014 13:18

Thanks for your answer!

However, I am using a central scheme for my convective terms (+RK order 4), so that I need fourth order artificial viscosity to remove any odd/even decoupling.

FMDenaro March 31, 2014 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim (Post 483065)
Thanks for your answer!

However, I am using a central scheme for my convective terms (+RK order 4), so that I need fourth order artificial viscosity to remove any odd/even decoupling.


but artificial dissipation is modulated by the local gradient intensity... do you have strong gradients as BC.s?

Joachim March 31, 2014 13:32

well, I am computing the flow over a laminar flat plate right now, so I have gradients at the wall...

FMDenaro March 31, 2014 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim (Post 483068)
well, I am computing the flow over a laminar flat plate right now, so I have gradients at the wall...


This is not clear ... when you solve laminar flow, there is no unresolvable gradient in such case, therefore the artificial dissipation does not make sense...

Joachim March 31, 2014 13:54

I have the values at time step n, and I explicitly compute the fluxes to get the state vector at time step n+1. However, I don't know if I should include the artificial viscosity at the wall or not...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34.