CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   Main CFD Forum (
-   -   LES cut off wave number (

Fab June 14, 2008 01:53

LES cut off wave number

does anyone know, how to calculate the cut-off wave number of the energy spectrum when using an implicit mesh filter?

Thanks! Fab

cfd.novice June 14, 2008 06:47

Re: LES cut off wave number
I think its same as your grid size. But I am not sure, I hope some one with more experience can confirm this. How are doing your energy spectrum? Can you please explain the process.

Fab June 15, 2008 13:42

it is probably an easy answer, when one has a cartesian aequidistant mesh, as the cut off would be 2*pi/deltaX !? With deltaX the cell size, but what can be used to for unstructured meshes!?

For a temporal energy spectrum I would do 'just' an fft of a the velocity tracked at a certain point. For the spatial spectrum I just can think of a correlation!?

cfd.novice June 16, 2008 15:42

Which software did you use for it? Do you mind if I have a look at the code you wrote for it. I am interested in temporal spectrum. Thank you in advance

krish July 2, 2008 19:39

can you explain me how did you track the velocity? what was ur initial condition?

I did FFT on the velocity data that i have been given but it is not showing the energy spectrum that i see in the technical journal papers.

I think the data i got is wrong.