[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Main CFD Forum

aero_software

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   October 17, 2008, 10:24
Default aero_software
pierre

Hi there, A Company asks you as a consultant which CFD package is the most suitable for aerospace applications... Which one would you recommend between Fluent, Star-CD and CFX, please? have a great weekend!

pierre

Old   October 17, 2008, 18:24
Default Re: aero_software
mr-fluent

fluent

this is my opinion after using all the available commercial solvers for aero applications.

Old   October 18, 2008, 07:29
Charles

You would need to be a bit more specific about the application. If it is for transonic and higher speeds, I would vote for Cobalt, not one of the "big three".

Old   October 18, 2008, 07:50
mr-fluent

yes, Cobalt is also i have used. In my case it was 80% off from experimental values.

But you are correct for flow with high mach, it may be the answer. But the biggest issue with cobalt is it does not support sliding mesh etc for mesh movement.

For high mach flows , i would say yaa it could be used, but with low mach. Its not the one to go with.

Old   October 18, 2008, 08:03
Charles

I would certainly agree with you that for the lower Mach-number flows Fluent would be a very good option, Cobalt wasn't made for that. However, at transonic Mach-numbers with Cobalt I've seen excellent agreement with experimental results, certainly to within less than 5%, mostly better than that. If you need mesh movement, it supports overset meshes.

Old   October 18, 2008, 10:23
Bob

I have used fluent, star-cd, star-ccm+, cfdesign and phoenics (don't laugh)and of all of them I would say that star-ccm+ is the code of choice for most applications specifically aerospace also out of all of them it is the only code with a future. I haven't used CFX although I hear it is quite good too.

Old   October 19, 2008, 00:34
doki

the problem mentioned is a pack of smaller problems itself. and for a pack you should use a pack! there are major applications in the aero- related problems, each necessitating its own conditions. so it is impossible to address just one solver as a "generic" solver for the applications. I have used almost all of the softwares mentioned above, and found NONE of them reliable for any problem. all of the software have some weaknesses or shortcomings in specific cases which should be considered when choosing a suitable numerical tool. so a pack of all softwares and even probably some home-developed codes can be best choice!

Old   October 19, 2008, 20:11
cfd novice

Hi doki

What do you mean by pack of all softwares? I know Ansys is developing a code which would have best of both CFX and Fluent, but I dont understand what you meant pack of softwares.

What sort of applications are you intertested in Pierre? I have used Fluent and CFX. I think CFX is easier to learn and gives more accurate results for RANS modelling whereas Fluent is better for LES applications.

Regards

Old   October 20, 2008, 06:19
pierre

thanks to all for your help! coming back to doki question..with pack I meant software (generally speaking). Sorry about that!I would like to know if you have some info such as web sites, articles where I can find out some comparisons between Fluent, Star-CD, CFX and Cobalt in terms of aeronautical applications!Which are their pros&cons? Have a great day to all of you! pierre

Old   October 20, 2008, 06:29
cfd novice

What sort of simulations are you planning to conduct? RANS, URANS, LES, DES, Acoustics or DNS. I would recommend you ask Ansys and star-cd to run your cases and then choose on the performance of code for your particular application.

Regards

Old   October 20, 2008, 06:48
pierre

I do apologise but I am not very familiar with those simulations. I mean, I know sth theoretically but unfortunately not pratically. I have been involved with it for more or less one month. If you do not mind, could you explain me just a bit more please?

Old   October 20, 2008, 09:53
doki

I mean a group of different software for the PACK! the thing is when you encounter a wide variety of problems, no way you use different softwares to model. I have some experiences in the field and as far as I know, there is NO single software which can be used efficiently for ALL kinds of aeronautical problems. Each software has its own pros and cons; which must be taken into account when one chooses the software. STAR CD is a software generally with Segregates solver, and 3D. CFX is suitable for steady problems only. Fluent has some shortcomings in predicting Drag or at High Mach Numbers! as seen, all softwares have some weaknesses. the answer for the question is not unique!

Old   October 22, 2008, 05:39
cfd novice

Doki do you mean we can request Ansys or CD-adapco to write a code for us that will have all the features that we need for our application. It is obvious that every code has its strengths and weaknesses but unfortunately we have to live with it. Or - - - -

Regards

Old   October 23, 2008, 04:08
doki

Sure! I do agree with you, and we have just the same word. I am just intending that would it be possible to have a really multi-purpose software, it should have been developed so far! and I mean a wide range of aero-applications when talking about a multi-purpose software. the thing is how to use the available software efficiently and correctly.