CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Main CFD Forum

laminar flow in circular pipe

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   January 1, 2009, 12:57
Default laminar flow in circular pipe
  #1
MLA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hey! I'm looking for a test case to verify my code. I used FVM(fortran code) to simulate a laminar flow in pipe can any one help or send me a paper? Thanks in advance
  Reply With Quote

Old   January 1, 2009, 19:25
Default Re: laminar flow in circular pipe
  #2
otd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hagen-Poiseuille flow through a pipe for flow downstream of the inlet section. The flow is independent of z there (at least until turbulence sets in). The axial velocity is parabolic, w(r, z), where r is the radial coordinate. Use mass converation to learn that the CL axial velocity is 1.5 x the average axial velocity. My old version of Schlichting (Boundary Layer Theory) has it all worked out.

For the entrance region flow, find some data (friction factors?). Compare the CL axial velocity w(r = 0, z) from your calculation with the data.
  Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2009, 12:41
Default Re: laminar flow in circular pipe
  #3
MLA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
dear otd thanks for your message.but there is a little problem in parabolic velocity i.e. the coeficient is depend on pressure drop which is unknown befor solving the problem! as you know the inlet and outlet bc's are velocity inlet and prresure outlet .thanks again
  Reply With Quote

Old   January 3, 2009, 23:06
Default Re: laminar flow in circular pipe
  #4
versi
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The pressure drop may be given a-priori.

Inlet BC: Pressure = given, u-component = extrapolated according to du/dx=0, v-component =0,

Outlet BC: pressure =0.0, d(u,v)/dx=0

  Reply With Quote

Old   June 27, 2012, 09:53
Default
  #5
Senior Member
 
Goutam Saha
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 5
Goutam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA
;58387
Hey! I'm looking for a test case to verify my code. I used FVM(fortran code) to simulate a laminar flow in pipe can any one help or send me a paper? Thanks in advance
Hi, Did you find a paper? Could you please email me the paper, I am using FVM (fortran code) to simulate a laminar flow in pipe. Could you please answer my following questions:

Also, how I will calculate the inlet and outlet pressure? I have used parabolic velocity profile and my velocity and pressure graph looks correct.

Also, how I will calculate the Nusselt number? (Looking for a fortran code)

Thanks for your time.

Goutam
Goutam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 1, 2012, 17:55
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Chris DeGroot
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 387
Rep Power: 6
cdegroot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goutam View Post
Hi, Did you find a paper? Could you please email me the paper, I am using FVM (fortran code) to simulate a laminar flow in pipe. Could you please answer my following questions:

Also, how I will calculate the inlet and outlet pressure? I have used parabolic velocity profile and my velocity and pressure graph looks correct.

Also, how I will calculate the Nusselt number? (Looking for a fortran code)

Thanks for your time.

Goutam
Hi. You don't need a paper. Just check any basic fluid mechanics textbook and you will find a formula for dp/dx (or derive it quite easily). Since dp/dx is constant, the pressure profile is a line. Assuming you specified an outlet pressure you can find the correct pressure anywhere else.
cdegroot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 2, 2012, 07:11
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
Goutam Saha
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 5
Goutam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdegroot View Post
Hi. You don't need a paper. Just check any basic fluid mechanics textbook and you will find a formula for dp/dx (or derive it quite easily). Since dp/dx is constant, the pressure profile is a line. Assuming you specified an outlet pressure you can find the correct pressure anywhere else.
Hi

For my case, I use water as fluid for laminar pipe flow problem. I found that flow is fully developed from inlet to outlet since I used parabolic velocity profile at the inlet. Also pressure is decreasing from inlet to outlet. Problem is my pressure drop profile is not linear and I calculated the friction factor which is not good at all. (Analytical result: f = 64/Re). But my velocity profile is fully correct. But when I use air as a fluid, then all my results were correct.

Thanks
Goutam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 3, 2012, 13:06
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
Goutam Saha
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 128
Rep Power: 5
Goutam is on a distinguished road
My problem is solved and I am now getting the correct pressure drop results. Only problem remains is the Nusselt number !!!!!!!!!
Goutam is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
benchmark: flow over a circular cylinder goodegg Main CFD Forum 12 January 22, 2013 12:47
Flow laminar and stationary of water in a pipe manuel OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 6 March 24, 2007 19:23
flow over a cylinder urgent! kevin FLUENT 7 June 8, 2006 01:19
First steps - laminar flow in a pipe Maria Phoenics 8 November 27, 2001 12:26
fluid flow fundas ram Main CFD Forum 5 June 17, 2000 21:31


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43.