CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Main CFD Forum

Ice accretion

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rafael Silveira
  • 1 Post By Pao
  • 1 Post By Umuteng
  • 1 Post By meb
  • 2 Post By meb

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   December 13, 2001, 11:29
Default Ice accretion
  #1
Rafael Silveira
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Im a Ph.d student and Im working with ice accretion on aircraft wings. In my M.Sc course, I developed a 2D code for ice accretion. Now, in the Ph.D course, Im looking for references about 3D models to develop a new code.

Thank you...
aminrbspace likes this.
  Reply With Quote

Old   January 17, 2002, 10:53
Default Re: Ice accretion
  #2
Pao
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
You can run Lewice 2d or 3d. I am interested in whether you have any ice shape on radome to compare your prediction. If you have any ice shape on radome, I would like to take a look too. I am working on ice shape on radome.
aminrbspace likes this.
  Reply With Quote

Old   April 2, 2012, 00:29
Default Ice accretion process
  #3
New Member
 
ali
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
alireza-1369 is on a distinguished road
Hi....
I am working on my B.Cs project,which is including ice accretion process.Please help me about how to obtain a 2d code for the ice accretion process or software like FENSAP_ICE.
I tried to find relating codes on internet(does not matter which one!)but I was not successful.
If anyone has a code,please help me....really I need help...
Send me your idea please...
alireza-1369 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 6, 2012, 12:58
Default
  #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
fiddlestock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alireza-1369 View Post
Hi....
I am working on my B.Cs project,which is including ice accretion process.Please help me about how to obtain a 2d code for the ice accretion process or software like FENSAP_ICE.
I tried to find relating codes on internet(does not matter which one!)but I was not successful.
If anyone has a code,please help me....really I need help...
Send me your idea please...
Hi there, ali.

I am also working with ice accretion right now. Are you sure that FLUENT can not be adapted in order to model ice accretion? If so, have you found some other software or code?

I really need some help here.
I am sure YOU UNDERSTAND ME. Tks!
fiddlestock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   November 29, 2012, 14:00
Default Icing accretion
  #5
Member
 
payamfadaei
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mashhad/Iran
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 3
Payam89 is on a distinguished road
I have a circle in my domain and I want that ice particles stick my circle but I don't know how should I do that ?

Can anybody help me?
Thank you
Payam89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 1, 2012, 12:01
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Umut Can
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 3
Umuteng is on a distinguished road
Hello, ice formation is a hot topic nowadays,
You can search Myers's paper which explains messinger model,its weakness and extendend messinger model. Extendend messinger model gives fairly good solution for ice formation. All formulas you need to code are in Myers' Extenden Messinger Model paper. however to predict ice shapes some velocity field and doplet trajectory approach is needed. For velocity field you can use simple Hess-smith Panel code. Droplet trajectory calculation is a mystery for me i am still trying searching about it.
Payam89 likes this.
Umuteng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 1, 2012, 12:38
Default
  #7
Member
 
payamfadaei
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mashhad/Iran
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 3
Payam89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umuteng View Post
Hello, ice formation is a hot topic nowadays,
You can search Myers's paper which explains messinger model,its weakness and extendend messinger model. Extendend messinger model gives fairly good solution for ice formation. All formulas you need to code are in Myers' Extenden Messinger Model paper. however to predict ice shapes some velocity field and doplet trajectory approach is needed. For velocity field you can use simple Hess-smith Panel code. Droplet trajectory calculation is a mystery for me i am still trying searching about it.
thank you so much

Does any panel in fluent can model ice accretion?
Payam89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 2, 2012, 06:08
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Umut Can
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 3
Umuteng is on a distinguished road
i dont think fluent can model ice formation. Fluent is all about N-S equations.
Umuteng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 2, 2012, 10:04
Default Accretion panel
  #9
Member
 
payamfadaei
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mashhad/Iran
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 3
Payam89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umuteng View Post
i dont think fluent can model ice formation. Fluent is all about N-S equations.
But it has a Accretion panel once you active eurelian model...!
Payam89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 2, 2012, 16:28
Default
  #10
New Member
 
Umut Can
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 3
Umuteng is on a distinguished road
i have no information about it sorry,
if you find anyway to do that with fluent please share with me...
Umuteng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 5, 2012, 14:28
Default RBF Morph + UDF
  #11
meb
Member
 
Marco Evangelos Biancolini
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rome - Italy
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 7
meb is on a distinguished road
We have an active project on this topic at the University of Rome Tor Vergata.
We are currently focused on ice accretion modeling on wings as a shape updating problem; i.e. we are using literature data to drive the accretion using mesh morphing (we are exploiting specific features of RBF Morph that allow to control surface on a point by point basis).
It works quite good! And ice layer has an important effect on airfoil performances.
The next step will be the definition of an UDF for the calculation of ice accretion rate on the surface.

More than happy to share ideas on this interesting problem.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 5, 2012, 14:35
Default
  #12
meb
Member
 
Marco Evangelos Biancolini
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rome - Italy
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 7
meb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam89 View Post
I have a circle in my domain and I want that ice particles stick my circle but I don't know how should I do that ?

Can anybody help me?
Thank you
Not sure, but I think that Fluent allows to evaluate your problem with particle tracking. One of the first problem I have faced a century ago! At that time (1998) the focus was about fuel droplets. Tracked in a pseudo 2D domain (built using 1-d results and geometry); not so difficult to implement if each particle is followed in a Lagrangian fashion. All the stuff coded in Fortran!

However your problem sounds more similar to snow or hail deposition.
Payam89 likes this.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2012, 06:04
Default
  #13
New Member
 
Umut Can
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 3
Umuteng is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
We have an active project on this topic at the University of Rome Tor Vergata.
We are currently focused on ice accretion modeling on wings as a shape updating problem; i.e. we are using literature data to drive the accretion using mesh morphing (we are exploiting specific features of RBF Morph that allow to control surface on a point by point basis).
It works quite good! And ice layer has an important effect on airfoil performances.
The next step will be the definition of an UDF for the calculation of ice accretion rate on the surface.

More than happy to share ideas on this interesting problem.
Hi,
Could you explain little bit more clearly what you are doing? As far as i understand you change the mesh domain with changing ice shape? But, In which way you determine water particles hit the airfoil or wing surfaces? Also why do you use mesh , to determine velocity field? İf it is why not panel code what's the advantage?
Thank you very much.
Umuteng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2012, 06:37
Default
  #14
meb
Member
 
Marco Evangelos Biancolini
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rome - Italy
Posts: 75
Rep Power: 7
meb is on a distinguished road
Just discussed the topic with the student. Let me first comment that we haven't experience in in icing modeling.
Our involvement is mainly related to the implementation of the morphing part, i.e. updating the volume mesh (in 3d for complex shapes) according to ice accretion model predictions. Currently this project is starting for the CFD solver ANSYS Fluent. And for this topic we have enough experience; and thanks to RBF Morph morphing tool we can deal with huge meshes.

We already did good test with experimental ice profiles. Even for complex shapes using RBF we are able to update the original mesh keeping an acceptable quality.

Now we are focused on the ice accretion modeling. Just started a review to understand which strategy can be adopted. Consider that in this case we are not focused to give a contribution in this topic; just fill the gap a little bit to play with a meaningful model suitable to feed the morpher.

Hear today the progress on this; just started first experiments using Eulerian multiphase model. It seems that out of the box features of Fluent can be used for this purpose.

http://www.ansys.com/staticassets/AN...-summary-3.pdf

Cheers.
aerothermal and Payam89 like this.
meb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   December 6, 2012, 08:44
Default Ice deposition
  #15
Member
 
payamfadaei
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mashhad/Iran
Posts: 32
Rep Power: 3
Payam89 is on a distinguished road
Yes exactly!....My problem is deposition...I want that every ice particle that meet the circle stick it and deposit during the time

But I don't know which panel in fluent I should use
Payam89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ice Accretion using Fluent Virk FLUENT 2 December 22, 2012 04:14
Ice melting Simulation pratikmehta CFX 13 February 29, 2012 21:14
ice accretion on airfoil - actually getting accretion gt1 FLUENT 1 June 11, 2011 00:00
Ice accretion and prediction manivannan3017 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 1 September 2, 2010 14:49
Airfoil Ice Accretion Modelling Using Fluent Virk FLUENT 0 July 27, 2009 06:48


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50.