CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   Main CFD Forum (
-   -   Finite Volume Example (

Matt Kellerman April 3, 2002 08:15

Finite Volume Example
Hi, I am a relative newcomer to the field of CFD and have been following "An introduction to Computational fluid dynamics - The finite volume method" by Versteeg and Malalasekara. What I am interested in doing, is producing some code which incorporates the following:

- Overview: Solves for Pressure and velocity using SIMPLE algorithm using a staggered grid in two dimensions.

- Boundary Conditions: Known velocity at inlet and constant pressure outlet.

- Differencing Scheme: Hybrid differencing

- Flow type: laminar, Non-Compressible.

I have several questions before I know enough to be able to use the finite volume method to build the above model - Mainly around the implementation of boundary conditions, Source terms and also solving for pressure correction. What would be ideal is if anyone could point me in the direction of a worked example similar to the above scenario that I could follow which would most likely answer all of my questions.

If not, I'll post some specific questions that I have.

I only have limited access to University library resources (through a friend), so a URL, or feel free to e-mail me anything that you think may be of use to me.

Many thanks for your time and help,

Matt Kellerman.

Yong April 10, 2002 11:42

Re: Finite Volume Example
There is a quite good book talking about FVM,

Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics by Joel H. Ferziger, et al

and also you can get the sample code ( such as using FVM and SIMPLE scheme to solve 2D flow) from