CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Main CFD Forum (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/)
-   -   CFX, CFDRC, Fluent, StarCD, Phonetics (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/5942-cfx-cfdrc-fluent-starcd-phonetics.html)

Jen April 4, 2003 13:32

CFX, CFDRC, Fluent, StarCD, Phonetics

I don't know why Fluent, StarCD have lots of negative comments. The sales on Fluent is strong though. CFX is fine to me. Phonetics and CFDRC are still unknown to me. Any opinion? In CFD we used to solve problems implicitly (using upwind, power law scheme for the odd derivative terms). Explicit method can be used but is time consuming. However, I don't have all the experiences of the applications. I am still limited. Thanks!

Selina Tracy April 5, 2003 00:25

Re: CFX, CFDRC, Fluent, StarCD, Phonetics

Simple. More users more critics. More critics more user input. The two majors are only getting better. -Selina

Jan Rusås April 5, 2003 06:10

That explains why many people complain about microsoft, and many people are happy with Linux, Unix and mac. Just a difference in number of users and thats all :)))

Martin Nilsson April 7, 2003 09:54

No! no!! no!!! People complain about Windows because it is a complete shit product. Software that is that unstable, and slow, should not be allowed to be sold! Why do you think over 50% of all web servers run Linux? Exactly, because, unlike Windows, it is STABLE and, not unimportant, free. No, leave Windows were it belongs - in the trash.

Martin

Mike April 7, 2003 14:19

I have used 4 different solver and at the end I can tell that CFDRC's products are the best. If you don't believe, try...

Jan Rusås April 8, 2003 03:15

Please note the ":))) " My comment was very much sarcastic.

Charles Crosby April 8, 2003 03:48

Mike, would you care to elaborate? Especially in terms of the kind of flow you were applying the methods to. Your advice is somewhat against the mainstream opinion .... I have also managed to get very good answers out of a CFDRC solver (specifically the transsonic solver applied to external transsonic flow), but it is not the popular choice.

BeachComber April 8, 2003 07:37

Come on, tell us what you really think! Don't hold back this time. Ha ha, I agree compeletly with your comments and had to laugh - I have a hard time with restraint when talking about Windows. I get so sick of those Dr. Watson messages and also the beautius blue screens of death.

Mike April 8, 2003 10:46

To me, best flow solver is the one that requires min CPU time and memory while agreeing the experimental (or other numerical...) results well. I don't have to buy an expensive!!! computer to use an expensive!!! code.