CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Main CFD Forum

Visualisation of results

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   March 23, 2009, 11:58
Default Visualisation of results
  #1
New Member
 
Prakash Ayappan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 8
technocrat.prakash is on a distinguished road
Hai Friends,

Presently I am doing a 2D-variable duct prblem. I have written codes in C and got the reults in text. Next I like to visualize the results in Paraview. But I dont know how to format the file to give as the input to the paraview.

I checked a lot of trainning manuals for the formatting of input file. I startesd with VTK file extension and lot of hard work I didn't get any useful results.

So I need your help to give some advice on the formatting of the input file. I want to see the velocity, pressure contour & stream traces.

I have attached the problem & the results. Help Me.

Thanks in advance.
technocrat.prakash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 23, 2009, 15:19
Default
  #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 8
RenardP is on a distinguished road
Your grid is a structured one, if not, from what elements it is made (triangles, rectangles ....).

Can you use other visualisation tools like Matlab or Tecplot ?

Paul
RenardP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 23, 2009, 15:56
Default
  #3
Member
 
Newton KF
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 8
NewtonKF is on a distinguished road
Have you tried some free libraries from the net???

What is wrong with your export code for VTK??? I have already worked with that, but today I'm using tecplot... it is not easier to implement but has valuable features that other programs don't have...

If you need some help on your code, please post it in some public place to allow others to analyze it... I may help you if I can...
NewtonKF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 23, 2009, 19:14
Default
  #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 8
RenardP is on a distinguished road
Search the net for VTK file formats, and use the legacy text format, this seems to be straightforward to implement if you know a bit of C++.

I suggest you to use the STRUCTURED_POINTS format this will map exactly your domain if you use 3 rectangles.

Let me know if you need further help,

Paul
RenardP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 23, 2009, 23:38
Default
  #5
New Member
 
Prakash Ayappan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 8
technocrat.prakash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenardP View Post
Your grid is a structured one, if not, from what elements it is made (triangles, rectangles ....).

Can you use other visualisation tools like Matlab or Tecplot ?

Paul
I am using rectangular grids. Tried in MATLAB, but failed. I have no TECPLOT. Trial version of TECPLOT is not supporting my feature.
technocrat.prakash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 23, 2009, 23:41
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Prakash Ayappan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 8
technocrat.prakash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonKF View Post
Have you tried some free libraries from the net???

What is wrong with your export code for VTK??? I have already worked with that, but today I'm using tecplot... it is not easier to implement but has valuable features that other programs don't have...

If you need some help on your code, please post it in some public place to allow others to analyze it... I may help you if I can...
Thanks. Presently I dont want to export my code there. What I needed is how to format my results.

I have attached my problem defnition and results.
technocrat.prakash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 23, 2009, 23:43
Default
  #7
New Member
 
Prakash Ayappan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 8
technocrat.prakash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenardP View Post
Search the net for VTK file formats, and use the legacy text format, this seems to be straightforward to implement if you know a bit of C++.

I suggest you to use the STRUCTURED_POINTS format this will map exactly your domain if you use 3 rectangles.

Let me know if you need further help,

Paul
I am using rectangular elements (Control volume method uniform grids). I dont know C++.

Pls help in formatiing of my results into VTK format.
technocrat.prakash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 26, 2009, 11:12
Default
  #8
Senior Member
 
ztdep's Avatar
 
p ding
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 284
Rep Power: 9
ztdep is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ztdep Send a message via Skype™ to ztdep
try visit
i like the data format of tecplot
ztdep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 26, 2009, 13:28
Default
  #9
New Member
 
Prakash Ayappan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 8
technocrat.prakash is on a distinguished road
I could not understand your words.
technocrat.prakash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 26, 2009, 15:47
Default
  #10
Member
 
Newton KF
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 36
Rep Power: 8
NewtonKF is on a distinguished road
Visit is a program for visualization of results from numerical analysis: https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/
I think, it works with the vtk file format...
NewtonKF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 26, 2009, 15:48
Default
  #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 8
RenardP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by technocrat.prakash View Post
I am using rectangular elements (Control volume method uniform grids). I dont know C++.

Pls help in formatiing of my results into VTK format.
You can use any programming language for writing a simple formated text file ( aka VTK format), if I understand correctly you know C, this will help you.
RenardP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 27, 2009, 00:13
Default
  #12
New Member
 
Prakash Ayappan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 8
technocrat.prakash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenardP View Post
You can use any programming language for writing a simple formated text file ( aka VTK format), if I understand correctly you know C, this will help you.
I know C programming, but I dont know whats the format style of VTK
technocrat.prakash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 27, 2009, 00:15
Default
  #13
New Member
 
Prakash Ayappan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 8
technocrat.prakash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenardP View Post
You can use any programming language for writing a simple formated text file ( aka VTK format), if I understand correctly you know C, this will help you.
I know C programming But I dont know the format style of VTK
technocrat.prakash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 27, 2009, 00:16
Default
  #14
New Member
 
Prakash Ayappan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Rep Power: 8
technocrat.prakash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonKF View Post
Visit is a program for visualization of results from numerical analysis: https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/
I think, it works with the vtk file format...
My actual problem I dont know how write/ create VTK file formt from my results in text document.
technocrat.prakash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 27, 2009, 07:43
Default
  #15
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 8
RenardP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by technocrat.prakash View Post
My actual problem I dont know how write/ create VTK file formt from my results in text document.
Do you know any programming languages ?
The VTK file format is described on the NET, just search after VTK file format on google. If you know any programming language you will be able to simple re-write your results in this format.

If you need specific help write me in private.
RenardP is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Different Results from Fluent 5.5 and Fluent 6.0 Rajeev Kumar Singh FLUENT 6 December 19, 2010 12:33
validation of CFD results andy FLUENT 0 June 13, 2007 13:55
Problems with repeating results Lee CD-adapco 4 May 26, 2006 03:39
CFX cylinder or sphere benchmark results Mel CFX 1 August 8, 2005 18:47
benchmark results stefan CD-adapco 3 September 10, 2001 09:48


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:40.