CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Main CFD Forum (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/)
-   -   Help needed for meshing the following geometry... (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/65706-help-needed-meshing-following-geometry.html)

eers June 23, 2009 16:38

Help needed for meshing the following geometry...

Hi all

I am bit new to gambit n i need to do meshing for the following component as much refined as possible..I tried to do submap meshing by specifying vortex type but couldn't succeed..please suggest me for nice mesh...

eers

xdanielx June 24, 2009 00:20

i would split the geometry in several connected rectangels. each of these newly generated rectangles can be meshed with the mapped scheme in gambit. i think this should work for your geometry.

good luck

eers June 24, 2009 14:31

@xdanielx

thank u for u r suggestion..but i doubt can we split with respect to vortices ? 'coz they are not connected by edges, right!!

xdanielx June 25, 2009 01:34

i am not sure if i understand what you mean.

at the moment you should have just one face in your gambit model. this one face should be split with the split face command. I would use the option split with "Faces (Real)" and the option "connected" enabled. Hope this helps.

mettler June 25, 2009 08:16

Did you mesh the edges first? What is wrong with the mesh that you show? If you mesh the edges first and then mesh the face it might give you what you are looking for. You can try different counts on the edges too.

eers June 25, 2009 15:33

thanx xdanielx & nettler...I did the way u said but it's coming out to be with lot many skewed elements...The resulting mesh is given below..

eers

harishg June 25, 2009 18:47

Is it mandatory that you need to use block structured meshes for your domain? You can try using unstructured/hybrid meshes otherwise. It might be a bit of trial and error to get good block structured meshes for the geometry as there are many sharp corners.

lenvoi June 25, 2009 23:01

I think you can try split your face into several rectangle faces, then generate hexa mesh one by one. Hope it works for you...

xdanielx June 26, 2009 00:13

1 Attachment(s)
i would try to seperate the geometry as shown in the attachment. this is just a first shot to play around and there are different approaches as stated by others...
good luck

eers June 26, 2009 15:06

@xdanielx & others

Thank you for u r help..I could finally do a fine meshing without any skew elements by dividing the geometry in to many quadraleterals..

eers June 26, 2009 17:02

As i divided the geometry, i have left with inner edges which makes an error "continuum entity fluid path doesn't contain any valid entity and is not written"..I 'll appreciate for your help...

Regards

eers

eers June 29, 2009 15:29

As i divided the geometry, i have left with inner edges which makes an error "continuum entity fluid path doesn't contain any valid entity and is not written"..I 'll appreciate for your help...

Regards

eers