CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Main CFD Forum (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/)
-   -   need help (SGS viscosity) (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/66977-need-help-sgs-viscosity.html)

liuyuxuan July 30, 2009 02:53

need help (SGS viscosity)
 
is there are anyone know the different between SGS viscosity (LES model) and turbulent viscosity (K-omega model)?

Thank you very much!

vishyaroon July 31, 2009 10:48

The difference is the way in which the turbulent stresses are filtered or averaged.

In any RANS model the turbulent viscosity is derived from the difference between the actual value and the time averaged value.

In SGS, the turbulent viscosity is derived from the difference between teh actual values of velocities and the resolved velocities (obtained from sub-grid filters).

liuyuxuan August 2, 2009 23:32

:) Thank you very very much!

aatman August 21, 2009 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by liuyuxuan (Post 224662)
is there are anyone know the different between SGS viscosity (LES model) and turbulent viscosity (K-omega model)?

Thank you very much!

SGS is the Sub Grid Scale stress, the part of the stress which is not resolved by your grid because for example it is too coarse. This contribution provide the effect of just a small fraction of the Reynolds stress because most of it is already resolved. Instead in RANS model the turbulent viscosity must provide all the Reynolds stress

liuyuxuan August 23, 2009 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by aatman (Post 227105)
SGS is the Sub Grid Scale stress, the part of the stress which is not resolved by your grid because for example it is too coarse. This contribution provide the effect of just a small fraction of the Reynolds stress because most of it is already resolved. Instead in RANS model the turbulent viscosity must provide all the Reynolds stress

Thank you for answer!
you said that sub grid scale stress provide the effect of just a small fraction of reynolds stress, so is this mean, change another word, the sub grid scale stress just divide my grid into more smaller and then caculate this smaller grid? By the way, I am a beginner in CFD, I am not so sure that is a silly question!

Thank you in advance!

aatman August 24, 2009 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by liuyuxuan (Post 227206)
Thank you for answer!
you said that sub grid scale stress provide the effect of just a small fraction of reynolds stress, so is this mean, change another word, the sub grid scale stress just divide my grid into more smaller and then caculate this smaller grid? By the way, I am a beginner in CFD, I am not so sure that is a silly question!

Thank you in advance!

No, this mean that with your grid you are solving vortex with dimension comparable to your grid cell dimension, so there are several vortex with dimension lower than your grid cell that you are not directly resolving. These small vortex give effect to the flow and because you are not directly solving them you have to provide their effect through a model. The SGS eddy viscosity for example is a type of model. A model needs some assumption that are not always valid. For example if you calculate the SGS eddy viscosity through a Smagorinsky model you made the assumption that the production and destruction of turbulence are in equilibrium. Then you have other assumption but it start to be hard to explain without formula.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14.