CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > Main CFD Forum

need help (SGS viscosity)

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   July 30, 2009, 02:53
Default need help (SGS viscosity)
  #1
New Member
 
LiuYuxuan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 8
liuyuxuan is on a distinguished road
is there are anyone know the different between SGS viscosity (LES model) and turbulent viscosity (K-omega model)?

Thank you very much!
liuyuxuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   July 31, 2009, 10:48
Default
  #2
Senior Member
 
Aroon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine WI
Posts: 148
Rep Power: 8
vishyaroon is on a distinguished road
The difference is the way in which the turbulent stresses are filtered or averaged.

In any RANS model the turbulent viscosity is derived from the difference between the actual value and the time averaged value.

In SGS, the turbulent viscosity is derived from the difference between teh actual values of velocities and the resolved velocities (obtained from sub-grid filters).
vishyaroon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 2, 2009, 23:32
Default
  #3
New Member
 
LiuYuxuan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 8
liuyuxuan is on a distinguished road
Thank you very very much!
liuyuxuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 21, 2009, 12:07
Default
  #4
New Member
 
federico
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 7
aatman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuyuxuan View Post
is there are anyone know the different between SGS viscosity (LES model) and turbulent viscosity (K-omega model)?

Thank you very much!
SGS is the Sub Grid Scale stress, the part of the stress which is not resolved by your grid because for example it is too coarse. This contribution provide the effect of just a small fraction of the Reynolds stress because most of it is already resolved. Instead in RANS model the turbulent viscosity must provide all the Reynolds stress
aatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 23, 2009, 04:59
Default
  #5
New Member
 
LiuYuxuan
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 8
liuyuxuan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aatman View Post
SGS is the Sub Grid Scale stress, the part of the stress which is not resolved by your grid because for example it is too coarse. This contribution provide the effect of just a small fraction of the Reynolds stress because most of it is already resolved. Instead in RANS model the turbulent viscosity must provide all the Reynolds stress
Thank you for answer!
you said that sub grid scale stress provide the effect of just a small fraction of reynolds stress, so is this mean, change another word, the sub grid scale stress just divide my grid into more smaller and then caculate this smaller grid? By the way, I am a beginner in CFD, I am not so sure that is a silly question!

Thank you in advance!
liuyuxuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   August 24, 2009, 12:01
Default
  #6
New Member
 
federico
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 7
aatman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuyuxuan View Post
Thank you for answer!
you said that sub grid scale stress provide the effect of just a small fraction of reynolds stress, so is this mean, change another word, the sub grid scale stress just divide my grid into more smaller and then caculate this smaller grid? By the way, I am a beginner in CFD, I am not so sure that is a silly question!

Thank you in advance!
No, this mean that with your grid you are solving vortex with dimension comparable to your grid cell dimension, so there are several vortex with dimension lower than your grid cell that you are not directly resolving. These small vortex give effect to the flow and because you are not directly solving them you have to provide their effect through a model. The SGS eddy viscosity for example is a type of model. A model needs some assumption that are not always valid. For example if you calculate the SGS eddy viscosity through a Smagorinsky model you made the assumption that the production and destruction of turbulence are in equilibrium. Then you have other assumption but it start to be hard to explain without formula.
aatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eulerian Modeling: Frictional Viscosity Help meangreen FLUENT 0 July 8, 2009 14:46
Which SGS viscosity model is most popular in LES? leaf Main CFD Forum 1 August 1, 2006 05:04
Turbulence viscosity limited Madhukar Rapaka FLUENT 0 June 26, 2006 03:17
kinematic viscosity at diff temperatures,pressures Mecobio Main CFD Forum 0 November 7, 2005 13:55
Problem of Turbulent Viscosity Ratio Limited David Yang FLUENT 3 June 3, 2002 06:13


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07.