CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Main CFD Forum (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/)
-   -   Hypersonic CFD (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/71299-hypersonic-cfd.html)

nick.parziale@gmail.com December 23, 2009 18:43

Hypersonic CFD
 
I am interested in using an CFD package {preferably open source} as an viscous or inviscid solver for hi enthalpy hypersonic flows where the chemistry behind the bow shock is considered. That is, not only high Mach number but the ability to simulate chemical non-equilibrium. Is there a software package available for this purpose?

AndyR December 23, 2009 19:15

Nick,
The tricky bit is all that chemistry behind the bow shock and in the boundary layer. Generally that detailed a real-gas model will be both proprietary and here in the USA export controled (ITAR). For example the export version of GASP and the ITAR version of GASP differ in that the later version includes detailed thermo-chemical databases and real gas models which would be appropriate to your problem.

Probably any code which handles compressible real gases and chemical kinetics at the same time can solve the equations. Its just that if the thermo-chemistry model isn't right, the answers can be very very wrong.

I would focus first on trying to find open-source information which would let you model the real-gas effects before I worry about a solver. You may not be able to find anything.

Sad but true, the physical behavior of gases in this regime is controlled data.

Good Luck
- Andy

Ahmed December 23, 2009 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyR (Post 240851)
Nick,
The tricky bit is all that chemistry behind the bow shock and in the boundary layer. Generally that detailed a real-gas model will be both proprietary and here in the USA export controled (ITAR). For example the export version of GASP and the ITAR version of GASP differ in that the later version includes detailed thermo-chemical databases and real gas models which would be appropriate to your problem.

Probably any code which handles compressible real gases and chemical kinetics at the same time can solve the equations. Its just that if the thermo-chemistry model isn't right, the answers can be very very wrong.

I would focus first on trying to find open-source information which would let you model the real-gas effects before I worry about a solver. You may not be able to find anything.

Sad but true, the physical behavior of gases in this regime is controlled data.

Good Luck
- Andy

Andy
I detect a shadow of romanticism in your reply, but rest assured that what you call, controlled information, is neither used to increase the efficiency of bread making machines nor to fight the spread of swine flu.
Good luck to all

...................................... Open Source for ever ..............................

AndyR December 24, 2009 11:36

You are quite right. It is simply that while such data is not trivial to determine, it is not so hard that a well directed university level effort or efforts could not duplicate it. So I imagine that any hostile entity with the capability of using such data in a hostile way has already generated what they need.

As you said, this data is not used to design toaster ovens. So the question becomes, does one impede ones own progress in this area more than on impedes the progress of those who might have hostile intent. Certainly erring on the side of caution is prudent, but it can be frustrating to deal with controlled data.

I can see controlling details on how to enrich uranium or build a thermo-nuclear weapon. But what is gained by controlling fundamental data on uranium itself?

It is a matter of degree to be sure.
-AndyR

nick.parziale@gmail.com December 24, 2009 15:48

I agree that issues surrounding ITAR and controlled data make for interesting conversation; however, I am still looking for constructive hints as to where to find a package that can correctly simulate hi enthalpy, high speed flows. GASP was a good start and I have put in a request there. Any other suggestions?

mdz January 14, 2010 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick.parziale@gmail.com (Post 240850)
I am interested in using an CFD package {preferably open source} as an viscous or inviscid solver for hi enthalpy hypersonic flows where the chemistry behind the bow shock is considered. That is, not only high Mach number but the ability to simulate chemical non-equilibrium. Is there a software package available for this purpose?

Hi nick,

I can advise you to use FASTRAN:
*it works for high Mach number (till m=60);
*you can introduce volume chemistry (like plasma),
*you can take into account surface chemical reactions

I have used it with a space probe for planetry re-entry simulation within ESA (Europeen NASA).

KR,
mdz

vinz January 14, 2010 11:53

Hi Nick,

I don't know exactly what are your objectives, but we have an in-house developped code named MISTRAL which has been created especially for hypersonic domain, including chemistry, and non-equilibrium.
It has been validated through numerous cases, including re-entry cases on various planet.
It works on block structured hexaedral grids, and we mainly use GridPro to create them.
If you are intrested, don't hesitate to drop me an email if you want more information (vincent.rivola at rtech-engineering.com)

Regards,

Vincent

falltime May 11, 2013 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinz (Post 242625)
Hi Nick,

I don't know exactly what are your objectives, but we have an in-house developped code named MISTRAL which has been created especially for hypersonic domain, including chemistry, and non-equilibrium.
It has been validated through numerous cases, including re-entry cases on various planet.
It works on block structured hexaedral grids, and we mainly use GridPro to create them.
If you are intrested, don't hesitate to drop me an email if you want more information (vincent.rivola at rtech-engineering.com)

Regards,

Vincent

Is the code MISTRAL available ?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:25.