CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   Main CFD Forum (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/)
-   -   Comparison between Solidworks Flow Simulation and Ansys Fluent (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/main/95407-comparison-between-solidworks-flow-simulation-ansys-fluent.html)

Bruce828 December 16, 2011 03:14

Comparison between Solidworks Flow Simulation and Ansys Fluent

Greetings to all CFD experts =)

I'm new in CFD simulation and currently I'm doing my final year project about Venturi Tube flow measurement. My case study is laminar flow.

My question is what are the differences between Solidworks Flow Simulation and Ansys FLUENT in laminar flow?? Since I did simulation using both software and get similar results, I would like to know the the differences and advantages on both software~

Please help~ Any help is appreciated!!! :)

hhucy December 17, 2011 00:33

I think you'd better have a try and compare them by yourself. In my opinion, Fluent is much better than SW flow simulation.
Good Luck

Bruce828 December 25, 2011 04:08

I see~ Thx for your comment^^ :D

mielnikus February 21, 2013 12:45

Sw ansys

In my opinion ANSYS is the most annoying software I have ever come across, with no user friendly interface.. The simplest thing that take seconds in SW in ANSYS takes days... DM is the worst CAD modeller I have come across especially with splines !!!! people is 21 century !!!! all CAD software have unlimited splines! no low level b...t ... how I can select face inside the object if there is not a section view???
I am not going to mention a word about rotating your model in the space.... ridiculous is the word

My advice is that if you want to progress with your work stick to SW, NX, but if you want your data to be more accurate by 0.01 % waste months in ANSYS

andy_ February 22, 2013 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce828 (Post 336036)
I'm new in CFD simulation and currently I'm doing my final year project about Venturi Tube flow measurement. My case study is laminar flow.

My question is what are the differences between Solidworks Flow Simulation and Ansys FLUENT in laminar flow?? Since I did simulation using both software and get similar results, I would like to know the the differences and advantages on both software

If you are not seeing significant differences on coarse and medium grids I would suggest something is not right. Venturi tubes have "aerodynamic" surfaces (smoothly varying curved surfaces with flow passing over it) which can be relatively accurately handled by the methods in Ansys but not in the non-boundary conforming method in Solidworks unless things have changed since I last looked. This increased accuracy for a given grid resolution comes at the cost of a bit of effort to produce suitable meshes. There are pros and cons for the two software packages.

diamondx February 23, 2013 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mielnikus (Post 409353)
In my opinion ANSYS is the most annoying software I have ever come across, with no user friendly interface.. The simplest thing that take seconds in SW in ANSYS takes days... DM is the worst CAD modeller I have come across especially with splines !!!! people is 21 century !!!! all CAD software have unlimited splines! no low level b...t ... how I can select face inside the object if there is not a section view???
I am not going to mention a word about rotating your model in the space.... ridiculous is the word

My advice is that if you want to progress with your work stick to SW, NX, but if you want your data to be more accurate by 0.01 % waste months in ANSYS

The designmodeler is not made for creating geometries. SOLIDWORDS is. Keep in mind that the feature of designmodeler is to modify a geometry, To simplify it, to extract the fluid domain, to make it 2D, to stitch surfaces, to slice bodies and the list keep going, everything you need to perform a structural or fluid analysis. Are the feature to sketch, extrude or anything aimed to create is just an extra, and that's what's makes it a good software...