CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Bugs (
-   -   Possible bug in reconstructPar with new BC (

flavio_galeazzo September 30, 2009 12:11

Possible bug in reconstructPar with new BC
Hello Foamers,

I am facing a problem using reconstructPar to reconstruct cases using a new developed BC. The new velocity BC is based on the turbulentInlet BC, having a reference field (vectorField), a fluctuation scale (vector) and some scalar parameters.

When I run the reconstructPar, it writes all parameters as expected, only the reference field is wrongly written as a scalarField with nonsense values.

I have tested versions 1.5.x and 1.6, the same problem appears.

Have someone an idea how to solve (or bypass) this problem?

mattijs October 1, 2009 15:40

Make sure you implement rmap and automap methods. Use any other fvPatchField that has a additional field, e.g. totalPressure.

flavio_galeazzo October 2, 2009 04:33

Hello Mattijs,

Thank you for the prompt reply. You were right, it was a problem with the automap and rmap methods. It is working well right now.

Thank you again!

peterW December 6, 2009 18:13

it seems that I am facing a similar problem. I changed the inletOutlet fvPatch (from OF 1.6) by making the valueFraction() depending on a field value in the local patch cell. The new velocity BC works fine in serial and parallel computations.

However, when I have used it in parallel, I get the same problem as already described above with reconstructPar. I tried to use automap and rmap and I compiled the BC as part of the solver and alternatively as a dynamic library (is that necessary for reconstructPar?). But that did not change anything. When I set the name of the BC back to inletOutlet in all the processor directories reconstructPar works fine again.

Any ideas what I should look for or what I could have missed?

mattijs December 7, 2009 07:11

reconstructPar does not 'know' your boundary condition - it only knows the boundary conditions from the libraries it is linked with. In your system/controlDict add a

libs ("")

to make it 'know' your boundary conditions.