CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Installation on Windows, Mac and other Unsupported Platforms

Patches to compile OpenFOAM 2.2 on Mac OS X

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree20Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   April 2, 2013, 07:05
Default
  #21
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 7
hewei is on a distinguished road
Hi Bernhard,
Nice work you've done. here I wanna know if there is some patches for intel compiler? I find that even running the same case, the pressure is difficult to converged in Mac OpenFOAM with Gcc, if there was a patch for Icc, it will be much better. Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschaider View Post
Those of you using OpenSource for their CFD-needs, working with a Unix-like operating system but who were tempted by the slick hardware to the dubious corporation with the fruit in the logo may be interested in these patches for the latest version of OpenFOAM that allow compiling it on Mac OS X.

Those who say "How dare you use this fine OpenSource-program on these evil machines" are of course right, I feel ashamed and mumble "But they look so good, they work so fine and as long as it is not in the AppStore Apple will not profit from this"

Anyway. To the point. The patch has the same functionality as the last one for 2.1 posted here:
OF 1.9 (aka OF 2.1) on Mac OS X
It is installed in the same way as the 2.1-patch described here: http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Ho...enFOAM_v21_Mac

One note: the patch is supposed to create some symbolic links in wmake/rules but instead only creates files. So replace the file darwinIntel64Gcc4X (X from {2..8}) with a symbolic link to darwinIntel64Gcc

For thirdparty-software I rely on MacPorts. For the compilation I used from MacPorts

- OpenMPI
- gcc46 (gcc47 doesn't work for me, but your milage may vary)
- boost and cgal (these are optional. If found they will be used for surfaceExtractFeatures). Usage of these is new for this patch
- ccache (optional but highly recomended)

Contents of my ../site/2.2.x/prefs.sh are:
Code:
export WM_COMPILER=Gcc46
export WM_SCHEDULER=ccache
Feel free to experiment with other compilers

The only thing used/compiled from the original OpenFOAM-Thirdparty-software currently is scotch/ptscotch (as MacPorts uses an older version here)

Have fun and put your MacBooks into brown paper bags when you go outside so that the OpenSource-police won't spot you

Attachment 19669Attachment 19670
hewei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 2, 2013, 07:20
Default
  #22
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewei View Post
Hi Bernhard,
Nice work you've done. here I wanna know if there is some patches for intel compiler?
I don't have the Intel-compiler so it'd be hard for me to add that to the patch (but I'm accepting contributions). And currently I can't justify spending 700$ for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewei View Post
I find that even running the same case, the pressure is difficult to converged in Mac OpenFOAM with Gcc, if there was a patch for Icc, it will be much better.
What leads you to the conclusion that it will be better if compiled with the Intel-compiler if you haven't compiled it with the Intel compiler yet? (only thing I can imagine is that you had such experience on Linux). Not that I would rule that out completely (although if such a thing happens it is probably a problem with the compiler switches - overzealous optimization of the floating point operations)
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 2, 2013, 09:10
Default
  #23
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 7
hewei is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschaider View Post
I don't have the Intel-compiler so it'd be hard for me to add that to the patch (but I'm accepting contributions). And currently I can't justify spending 700$ for it

for me I also download the intel compiler non-commercial version, maybe you can try, if you like , we all know its a time-costing work
http://software.intel.com/en-us/non-...re-development


What leads you to the conclusion that it will be better if compiled with the Intel-compiler if you haven't compiled it with the Intel compiler yet? (only thing I can imagine is that you had such experience on Linux). Not that I would rule that out completely (although if such a thing happens it is probably a problem with the compiler switches - overzealous optimization of the floating point operations)
Yes as you said, I installed the OpenFOAM with intel compiler on Linux. when I move my case from my laptop to Mac, the convergence of pressure changes significantly, jumpeds from 10^-10 to 10 ^-1. I asked others, they told me maybe its the problem of compiler.
hewei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 2, 2013, 11:32
Default
  #24
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewei View Post
for me I also download the intel compiler non-commercial version, maybe you can try, if you like , we all know its a time-costing work
http://software.intel.com/en-us/non-...re-development
I'm a bit strange there:
I don't qualify (my MacBook is mainly used for work) and then downloading it anyway would be stealing. I don't have a problem with paying for software (not even the 700$ if I decide I need it) but I want to to it in accordance with their license. OpenSource is NOT communism. People often confuse that.

If you see it differently or are doing OpenFOAM purely as a hobby, then this is fine with me.

Like Bob Dylan said "To live outside the law you've got to be honest"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewei View Post
Yes as you said, I installed the OpenFOAM with intel compiler on Linux. when I move my case from my laptop to Mac, the convergence of pressure changes significantly, jumpeds from 10^-10 to 10 ^-1. I asked others, they told me maybe its the problem of compiler.
9 orders of magnitude? sounds more like a bug. You could also try a different gcc-version. Or you go to wmake/rules create a mix of the darwinIntel64Gcc and linux64Icc and see if that compiles.
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 5, 2013, 21:48
Default
  #25
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 6
marcojdressler is on a distinguished road
Hi Forum Members:

I am doing
Code:
git pull
to update OF-2.2.x and I get the following message

Code:
MacBook-Pro:OpenFOAM-2.2.x md$ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 455, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (119/119), done.
remote: Total 285 (delta 222), reused 226 (delta 164)
Receiving objects: 100% (285/285), 27.80 KiB, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (222/222), completed with 137 local objects.
From git://github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.x
   f16d44e..71fcc24  master     -> origin/master
Updating f16d44e..71fcc24
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
	src/OSspecific/POSIX/signals/sigFpe.C
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting
MacBook-Pro:OpenFOAM-2.2.x md$
Can you please give me a hint what to do to work around this issue?

Looking forward reading from you.
Regards,
MD
marcojdressler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 6, 2013, 06:25
Default
  #26
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcojdressler View Post
Hi Forum Members:

I am doing
Code:
git pull
to update OF-2.2.x and I get the following message

Code:
MacBook-Pro:OpenFOAM-2.2.x md$ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 455, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (119/119), done.
remote: Total 285 (delta 222), reused 226 (delta 164)
Receiving objects: 100% (285/285), 27.80 KiB, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (222/222), completed with 137 local objects.
From git://github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.x
   f16d44e..71fcc24  master     -> origin/master
Updating f16d44e..71fcc24
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
	src/OSspecific/POSIX/signals/sigFpe.C
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting
MacBook-Pro:OpenFOAM-2.2.x md$
Can you please give me a hint what to do to work around this issue?

Looking forward reading from you.
Regards,
MD
Create a branch (mdLocalChanges or so) and commit your changes into that. Then pull the upstream and merge it into your branch.

Can't give you the exact commands to do that as I'm doing things somehow differently: I pull the upstream-git into a mercurial repository and use the excellent patch-queues there to record the changes to the upstream (that allows me to easily generate the patches)
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 8, 2013, 02:59
Default Strugling with 2.2 on 10.8
  #27
New Member
 
Grant Stephens
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
RexFuzzle is on a distinguished road
Good Morning

Firstly, thank you for bringing this to Mac- the virtual box is always a bit of a faf.

I have been struggling for a while now and started from scratch a few times. I have gone the macports route. Attached is the log file- any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: gz make.log.tar.gz (6.7 KB, 4 views)
RexFuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 8, 2013, 04:56
Default
  #28
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexFuzzle View Post
Good Morning

Firstly, thank you for bringing this to Mac- the virtual box is always a bit of a faf.

I have been struggling for a while now and started from scratch a few times. I have gone the macports route. Attached is the log file- any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
make.log.tar.gz: is this part of a conspiracy to deliberately make it difficult for people to help? How many people do you think have the innovative idea to call their file make.log? Just make a guess how many others are now in my Downloads-folder (renamed to make-N.log.tar.gz)? And why in gods name do you have to tar a single file? Is this so that I have to unpack it and clutter my harddisk with somebody else's problems? (because if you just zip it then "less make.log.gz" lets me view it on the fly)

Concerning your problem (I hope that this is the right log-file I'm looking at):
"echo: write error: No space left on device"
From your name I deduce that you're the native English speaker here. You tell me what that could mean (the command df is your friend)
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 8, 2013, 05:03
Default
  #29
New Member
 
Grant Stephens
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Rep Power: 0
RexFuzzle is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the quick reply.
I missed that error as i was searching for Error with a space after as specified in the wiki. I am sorry about the tar-gz file but I was following the wiki instructions- I did see your rant on the other thread and tried to upload it as a .log file but the forum would not allow it to be uploaded. Next time I will try another format, although hopefully there isn't a next time
Thanks again for your help- it is very much appreciated.
RexFuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 8, 2013, 07:37
Default
  #30
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexFuzzle View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.
I missed that error as i was searching for Error with a space after as specified in the wiki. I am sorry about the tar-gz file but I was following the wiki instructions- I did see your rant on the other thread and tried to upload it as a .log file but the forum would not allow it to be uploaded. Next time I will try another format, although hopefully there isn't a next time
Thanks again for your help- it is very much appreciated.
That solves the riddle for me why everybody was using that format. I didn't write the instructions (and I never read them from top to bottom). Modified it so that people post more unique logs and I will stop abusing people. Plain .gz should work BTW (zipping is good as these logs tend to be very long)
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 17, 2013, 20:02
Smile
  #31
New Member
 
Ricardo Frantz
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
ricardo.frantz is on a distinguished road
Hello, Im trying to compile OpenFOAM 2.2. On a OS X 10.8.3 with Xcode 4.6.2 with Command Line Tolls installed.

Code:
gcc -v				-> gcc version: 4.2.1
mpirun -V				-> mpirun: command not found
sudo port self update		-> MacPorts base version 2.1.3 installed and downloaded.

sudo port install gcc46
gcc-mp-4.6 -v			-> gcc version 4.6.3 (MacPorts gcc46 4.6.3_9)
sudo port install flex
sudo port install bison
sudo port install openmpi +gcc46
sudo port install ccache
sudo port install boost
sudo port install cgal
Then I create a sparse image:
/Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM-2.2.0.sparseimage mounted -> OpenFOAM-v2.2

On terminal:
cd /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2
ls -l

drwxr-xr-x@ 9 ricardofrantz staff 578 17 Abr 17:27 OpenFOAM-2.2.0
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ricardofrantz staff 31450102 17 Abr 15:35 OpenFOAM-2.2.0.tgz
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ricardofrantz staff 41620 9 Mar 09:18 OpenFOAM-2.2.x_Mac-20130309.patch
drwxr-xr-x@ 7 ricardofrantz staff 816 17 Abr 17:24 ThirdParty-2.2.0
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ricardofrantz staff 58171983 17 Abr 15:34 ThirdParty-2.2.0.tgz
-rw-r--r--@ 1 ricardofrantz staff 2686 9 Mar 09:17 ThirdParty-2.2_Mac-20130309.patch

mv OpenFOAM-2.2.x_Mac-20130309.patch OpenFOAM-2.2.0
mv ThirdParty-2.2_Mac-20130309.patch ThirdParty-2.2.0

#applied the 20130309 patches,
Code:
cd
cd /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0
patch -p1 < OpenFOAM-2.2.x_Mac-20130309.patch
cd
cd /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/ThirdParty-2.2.0
patch -p1 < ThirdParty-2.2_Mac-20130309.patch
#changed the permissions on addr2line4Mac.py
Code:
cd /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0
ls bin/addr2line4Mac.py
ls -l bin/addr2line4Mac.py
chmod a+x bin/addr2line4Mac.py
ls -l bin/addr2line4Mac.py
#fixed the sym links in wmake/rules ln -s directory symbolic_link

Code:
cd
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc42 darwinIntel64Gcc
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc43 darwinIntel64Gcc
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc44 darwinIntel64Gcc
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc45 darwinIntel64Gcc
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46 darwinIntel64Gcc
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc47 darwinIntel64Gcc
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc48 darwinIntel64Gcc
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2 OpenFOAM
#update etc/bashrc for gcc46 and ccache
open /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/etc/bashrc

Changes on the file:
Code:
ulimit -n 1024
export WM_NCOMPPROCS=8
export WM_COMPILER=Gcc46
export WM_SCHEDULER=ccache
export WM_CC='gcc-mp-4.6'
export WM_CXX='g++-mp-4.6'
cd
. OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/etc/bashrc -> OK

#try to compile
cd OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0
./Allwmake 2>&1 | tee ricardofrantz_of22.log

Code:
.
make[1]: *** [multiphaseEulerFoam] Error 1
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/options'.  Stop.
wmake error: file 'Make/darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/objectFiles' could not be created in /Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/applications/solvers/multiphase/twoPhaseEulerFoam/kineticTheoryModels
+ wmake
/Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/MakefileOptions:37: /Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general: Not a directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general'.  Stop.
/Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/MakefileFiles:39: /Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general: Not a directory
/Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/MakefileFiles:40: darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/options: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/options'.  Stop.
wmake error: file 'Make/darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/objectFiles' could not be created in /Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/applications/solvers/multiphase/twoPhaseEulerFoam
make[1]: *** [twoPhaseEulerFoam] Error 1
make[1]: Target `application' not remade because of errors.
make: *** [multiphase] Error 2
make: Target `application' not remade because of errors.
As I am not sure of all commands and versions I am using, I sent all my steps, so before I ask for an error please check if I'm using the right stuff.
Cheers and nice job.
ricardo.frantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 18, 2013, 04:42
Default
  #32
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo.frantz View Post
#try to compile
cd OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0
./Allwmake 2>&1 | tee ricardofrantz_of22.log

Code:
.
make[1]: *** [multiphaseEulerFoam] Error 1
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/options'.  Stop.
wmake error: file 'Make/darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/objectFiles' could not be created in /Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/applications/solvers/multiphase/twoPhaseEulerFoam/kineticTheoryModels
+ wmake
/Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/MakefileOptions:37: /Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general: Not a directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general'.  Stop.
/Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/MakefileFiles:39: /Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general: Not a directory
/Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/wmake/MakefileFiles:40: darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/options: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/options'.  Stop.
wmake error: file 'Make/darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/objectFiles' could not be created in /Users/ricardofrantz/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/applications/solvers/multiphase/twoPhaseEulerFoam
make[1]: *** [twoPhaseEulerFoam] Error 1
make[1]: Target `application' not remade because of errors.
make: *** [multiphase] Error 2
make: Target `application' not remade because of errors.
As I am not sure of all commands and versions I am using, I sent all my steps, so before I ask for an error please check if I'm using the right stuff.
Cheers and nice job.
Some questions:
- These are the only errors you get? Or are they only example for a lot of other errors?
- Did you manage to run a simple example?
- Did the patches give any errors?

The reason why I'm asking is that you're using 2.2.0 and I develop this with 2.2.x (which even in the first commits had some differences to 2.2.0). But if everything else works and you don't need the solver in question, then I'd stick with 2.2.0 for the time being
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 28, 2013, 15:30
Default Run OpenFOAM-v2.2 in mac with two different sparseimage
  #33
New Member
 
Simone Martini
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
simone.rowing is on a distinguished road
Hi all, I am attempting to have multiple versions of OpenFOAM installed at the same time. I am using mac Lion OSX, and I want to see if it is possible to use two .sparseimage disk image files.
Quote:
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2 OpenFOAM
when I use this command, it is impossible to put another link in OpenFOAM. I tried to change the name of the link and bashrc in the openFOAM folder:,

Quote:
abc=OpenFOAM
# Location of installation
# ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
export WM_PROJECT_INST_DIR=$FOAM_INST_DIR
export WM_PROJECT_DIR=$WM_PROJECT_INST_DIR/$abc-$WM_PROJECT_VERSION
i put the name OpenFAOM2 and I change the installation location above.

after the change when i run the complication processs:
Quote:
. OpenFOAM2/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/etc/bashrc
it gives me a new error:
Quote:
WM_CHOSEN_MAC_MPI unset. Using OPENMPI
if anyone knows a solution to run two different sparseimages then please tell me.
simone.rowing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 28, 2013, 16:14
Default
  #34
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 6
marcojdressler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simone.rowing View Post
...
when I use this command, it is impossible to put another link in OpenFOAM.
I think I run into the same problem here. My decision was to source the version I am working with and to use that one. Once I need to work with anohter version I eject the .sparsimage and I source the other version.
marcojdressler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 28, 2013, 17:32
Default
  #35
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
At first: please use CODE not QUOTE for examples. That way they will not be thrown away in an answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simone.rowing View Post
Hi all, I am attempting to have multiple versions of OpenFOAM installed at the same time. I am using mac Lion OSX, and I want to see if it is possible to use two .sparseimage disk image files.
when I use this command, it is impossible to put another link in OpenFOAM. I tried to change the name of the link and bashrc in the openFOAM folder:,
I usually have all my installations on the same drive. But if you want to use multiple drives you'll only have to be "creative" with symbolic links. Suppose you have two drives mounted at /Volumes/OF2.3 and /Volumes/OF3.0 then you make on of them the "major" drive as usual ("ln -s /Volumes/OF2.3 $HOME/OpenFOAM") then put a link ti the other installation into it ("ln -s /Volumes/OF3.0/OpenFOAM-3.0 $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-3.0")

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone.rowing View Post
i put the name OpenFAOM2 and I change the installation location above.

after the change when i run the complication processs:
it gives me a new error:
That is not an error but a warning that you didn't chose a MPI-implementation and therefor the script chose for you (I think this was discussed in the thread where the patch was published)
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 29, 2013, 06:33
Default OpenFoam for mac don t work
  #36
New Member
 
Simone Martini
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
simone.rowing is on a distinguished road
Hi All, Thanks for the soon replace.
I try to install in the same way of the vesion 2.1.0 the version 2.2.0 but as I have already written, I had a problem with the symbolic link. Inadvertently I remove my old OpenFoam link.
I delete all sparse immage that I have create. I restart with the istruction from the creation of the new Sparseimage because I have all the prerequisites. But when I thy to install with ./Allwmake I have this error.



Quote:
/Users/simomartini/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/wmake/MakefileOptions:37: /Users/simomartini/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/Users/simomartini/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general'. Stop.
/Users/simomartini/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/wmake/MakefileFiles:39: /Users/simomartini/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general: No such file or directory
/Users/simomartini/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/wmake/MakefileFiles:40: darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/options: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/options'. Stop.
wmake error: file 'Make/darwinIntel64Gcc46DPOpt/objectFiles' could not be created in /Users/simomartini/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/applications/solvers/stressAnalysis/solidEquilibriumDisplacementFoam
make[1]: *** [solidEquilibriumDisplacementFoam] Error 1
make[1]: Target `application' not remade because of errors.
make: *** [stressAnalysis] Error 2
make: Target `application' not remade because of errors.
I follow the same istruction and I use se same Pach of last time for the vertion 2.1.0 now I really don't now why also the old version don t work.
simone.rowing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   April 29, 2013, 13:59
Default
  #37
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by simone.rowing View Post
Hi All, Thanks for the soon replace.
I try to install in the same way of the vesion 2.1.0 the version 2.2.0 but as I have already written, I had a problem with the symbolic link. Inadvertently I remove my old OpenFoam link.
I delete all sparse immage that I have create. I restart with the istruction from the creation of the new Sparseimage because I have all the prerequisites. But when I thy to install with ./Allwmake I have this error.





I follow the same istruction and I use se same Pach of last time for the vertion 2.1.0 now I really don't now why also the old version don t work.
Have a look at /Users/simomartini/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46 : it should be a symbolic link to the directory darwinIntel64Gcc in the same directory. The patch-program doesn't create this correctly. So if it is a plain file delete it (darwinIntel64Gcc46) and replace it with a symbolic link to the neighbour directory. Or copy the directory
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 2, 2013, 04:58
Default
  #38
New Member
 
Simone Martini
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10
Rep Power: 4
simone.rowing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have a look at /Users/simomartini/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.0/wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46 : it should be a symbolic link to the directory darwinIntel64Gcc in the same directory. The patch-program doesn't create this correctly. So if it is a plain file delete it (darwinIntel64Gcc46) and replace it with a symbolic link to the neighbour directory. Or copy the directory
Thank you very much! this worked quite well and the installation now goes through without problems (for 2.2). However I still have a problem with running the mount command of22. it seems that the mount command does not actually mount the image, and I have to do this manually each time, I am not sure if this is a problem in my code.
Code:
alias of22='hdiutil attach "$HOME/OpenFOAM-v2.2.sparseimage" -mountpoint "$HOME/OpenFOAM" > /dev/null ; . $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/etc/bashrc'
simone.rowing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 4, 2013, 06:57
Default
  #39
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by simone.rowing View Post
Thank you very much! this worked quite well and the installation now goes through without problems (for 2.2). However I still have a problem with running the mount command of22. it seems that the mount command does not actually mount the image, and I have to do this manually each time, I am not sure if this is a problem in my code.
Code:
alias of22='hdiutil attach "$HOME/OpenFOAM-v2.2.sparseimage" -mountpoint "$HOME/OpenFOAM" > /dev/null ; . $HOME/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/etc/bashrc'
No idea. I have a separate partition for all my OF-installations so I don't need to mount the image. Try running the mount command without the redirection to /dev/null an see what it outputs. My guess is that there is already a device mounted to $HOME/OpenFOAM and you'll have to unmount it first
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   May 19, 2013, 14:18
Default
  #40
New Member
 
Ruben Di Battista
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milan
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 4
tidusuper91 is on a distinguished road
Attachment 21912Hi to everyone,
i'm a "not-so-expert" of OF and compiling things. Anyway i followed this guide

http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Ho...enFOAM_v21_Mac

for installing OF 2.2 on Mac OSX 10.8.3.

This is what i did:

Code:
sudo ports selfupdate
sudo port install gcc46 openmpi ccache flex bison
Created the sparse image as written in the tutorial 2.5Gb, sparseimage Case Sensitive, Journaled

Copied the OpenFoam-2.2.0.tgz and ThirdParty-2.2.0.tgz in the image.
Extracted them

Downloaded OpenFOAM-2.2.x_Mac-20130309.patch and ThirdParty-2.2_Mac-20130309.patch

Code:
mv OpenFOAM-2.2.x_Mac-20130309.patch OpenFOAM-2.2.0
mv ThirdParty-2.2_Mac-20130309.patch ThirdParty-2.2.0
mv ThirdParty-2.2.0.tgz ThirdParty-2.2.0
cd OpenFOAM-2.2.0
patch -p1 < OpenFOAM-2.2.x_Mac-20130309.patch
chmod a+x bin/addr2line4Mac.py
cd ..
cd ThirdParty-2.2.0/
patch -p1 <ThirdParty-2.2_Mac-20130309.patch
Edited /etc/bashrc as in the guide

Code:
WM_COMPILER=Gcc46
ulimit −n 1024 
export WM_NCOMPPROCS=4
At the end of the file:

Code:
export WM_CC='gcc-mp-4.6' 
export WM_CXX='g++-mp-4.6'
export WM_SCHEDULER=ccache
Made the symlink
Code:
cd
ln -s /Volumes/OpenFOAM-v2.2/ OpenFOAM
Sourced the bashrc

Code:
. OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/etc/bashrc
All worked perfectly.

Then,

Code:
cd OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0
./Allwmake 2>&1 | tee rdb.log
But the compiling stopped. It seems having some problems with darwinIntelxxGcc directories, i have a lot of errors like this:

Code:
wmake/rules/darwinIntel64Gcc46/general: Not a directory
What did i do wrong?

Last edited by tidusuper91; May 19, 2013 at 19:51.
tidusuper91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Superlinear speedup in OpenFOAM 13 msrinath80 OpenFOAM Running, Solving & CFD 18 March 3, 2015 06:36
Problem when installing Openfoam 2.0.x with mac giovaniharyadi OpenFOAM Installation 0 March 24, 2012 19:45
Modified OpenFOAM Forum Structure and New Mailing-List pete Site News & Announcements 0 June 29, 2009 05:56
The OpenFOAM extensions project mbeaudoin OpenFOAM 16 October 9, 2007 09:33
OpenFOAM Debian packaging current status problems and TODOs oseen OpenFOAM Installation 9 August 26, 2007 13:50


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52.