CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Installation (
-   -   Local installation of OpenFoam 2.1.1- Red hat Linux (

achinta June 1, 2012 11:03

Local installation of OpenFoam 2.1.1- Red hat Linux
Hello everyone,
I would like to install OpenFoam 2.1.1 on my local computer. I don't have superuser password. I have my username and password only. But, the standard method(given on website of OF) requires superuser password. Is there a method to install OpenFoam without using superuser password?

wyldckat June 1, 2012 13:46

Greetings Achinta,

It depends:
Best regards,

achinta June 3, 2012 02:29

Thanks for the reply Bruno,
I am interested in the latest version of OpenFoam. If I request IT administration to install OpenFoam using superuser password, would Openfoam be installed in the central server or on my local computer?

I think superuser password is needed only for installation of OpenFoam(where we use 'su' commands). Or Is it necessary to run simulations or writing codes/compiling? (I haven't come across 'su' commands while running simulations/ compiling my own code). I don't want to request IT people for password everytime I compile a code :)

wyldckat June 3, 2012 05:32

Hi Achinta,

Superuser powers are only necessary for global installations, such as having a single Gcc version available to all users.

For installing a personal copy of OpenFOAM itself - as described here - you do not need superuser capabilities.

Best regards,

achinta June 6, 2012 00:42

Thank you very much Bruno. I was able to install OpenFoam using source pack without superuser password.