CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Installation (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/)
-   -   Compile Paraview and QT 4.6 (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/108237-compile-paraview-qt-4-6-a.html)

Tobi October 17, 2012 18:15

Compile Paraview and QT 4.6
 
Hi all,

trying to compile paraview by my self and get the following error after compiling and running paraview:
Code:

ERROR: In /home/shorty/Projects/ParaView-3.14.1-Source/VTK/GUISupport/Qt/vtkEventQtSlotConnect.cxx, line 68
vtkEventQtSlotConnect (0x8c3b980): Cannot connect NULL objects.


Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)


I think its the reason of that warning while configure paraview
Code:

CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:110 (MESSAGE):
  Warning: You are using Qt 4.8.1.  Officially supported version is Qt 4.6

or?

Any help would be appreciated
Tobi

wyldckat October 18, 2012 03:47

Hi Tobi,

These are old instructions for ParaView 3.10.1, but the trick is the same for 3.14.1: http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/blo...-qt-4-6-4.html

Best regards,
Bruno

Tobi October 18, 2012 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 387251)
Hi Tobi,

These are old instructions for ParaView 3.10.1, but the trick is the same for 3.14.1: http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/blo...-qt-4-6-4.html

Best regards,
Bruno

Thanks bruno,

I ll try it today evening .)

Tobi

Tobi October 18, 2012 11:58

Hi Bruno,

one question still left.
If I compile paraview, will I destroy my paraview build in third partys?

Thx tobi

wyldckat October 18, 2012 15:12

Hi Tobi,

To preserve the old build, all you have to do is edit the file "$WM_PROJECT_DIR/etc/config/paraview.sh" and change the references from 3.12.0 to 3.14.1. Then start a new terminal window/tab (just in case) and you're ready to go!


About the question you sent me in private - you can add those kinds of variables like this:
Code:

./makeParaView -qmake $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/platforms/linux64Gcc44/qt-4.6.4/bin/qmake vtkGL2PSExporter:BOOL=ON
Look at the last block on that very long line ;)
This is in reference to your other thread, more specifically post #5: http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ope...tml#post387096
But from the quote you wrote, I'm guessing that's not what the original writer had in mind, but I could be wrong... from where did you copy that quote?

Best regards,
Bruno

Tobi October 18, 2012 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 387380)
Hi Tobi,

To preserve the old build, all you have to do is edit the file "$WM_PROJECT_DIR/etc/config/paraview.sh" and change the references from 3.12.0 to 3.14.1. Then start a new terminal window/tab (just in case) and you're ready to go!


About the question you sent me in private - you can add those kinds of variables like this:
Code:

./makeParaView -qmake $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/platforms/linux64Gcc44/qt-4.6.4/bin/qmake vtkGL2PSExporter:BOOL=ON
Look at the last block on that very long line ;)
This is in reference to your other thread, more specifically post #5: http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ope...tml#post387096
But from the quote you wrote, I'm guessing that's not what the original writer had in mind, but I could be wrong... from where did you copy that quote?

Best regards,
Bruno


Well one question bruno,

normally you compile paraview with "./makeParaview"
that was all.

Is it possible to build the paraview in the third party with that additional variable? Its not working on my machine :/ can not make

./makeQt qt-4.6.4

Getting errors.

Tobi October 18, 2012 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 387380)
Hi Tobi,


Code:

./makeParaView -qmake $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/platforms/linux64Gcc44/qt-4.6.4/bin/qmake vtkGL2PSExporter:BOOL=ON


Now I can compile it like you said but if I use the
Code:

vtkGL2PSExporter:BOOL=ON
its not possible to compile it.
Code:

shorty@cfd:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.1.x$ ./makeQt qt-4.6.4 > makeQt.log 2>&1 && time ./makeParaView -qmake  ${WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR}/platforms/$WM_ARCH$WM_COMPILER/qt-4.6.4/bin/qmake vtkGL2PSExporter:BOOL=ON > makePV.log 2>&1

real    0m0.018s
user    0m0.004s
sys    0m0.000s
shorty@cfd:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.1.x$

Any suggestions?

wyldckat October 18, 2012 17:48

Hi Tobi,

What does the file "makeQt.log" contain?

Best regards,
Bruno

Tobi October 19, 2012 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 387404)
Hi Tobi,

What does the file "makeQt.log" contain?

Best regards,
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

I see you moved the thread.
Well I will have a look to the log file tomorrow evening.
I ll upload the file or maybe I can manage it myself.

Tobi

Tobi October 20, 2012 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 387404)
Hi Tobi,

What does the file "makeQt.log" contain?

Best regards,
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

makeQt.log is okay!
No error.

The makePV.log gives an error of the attribute you told me:
Code:

unknown option/argument: 'vtkGL2PSExporter:BOOL=OFF'

usage: makeParaView [OPTION] [CMAKE-OPTION]
options:
  -rebuild          for repeated builds (-make -install) *use with caution*
  -mesa            with mesa (if not already enabled)
  -mpi              with mpi (if not already enabled)
  -python          with python (if not already enabled)
  -cmake PATH      with the cmake version corresponding to the cmake path given
  -qmake PATH      with the Qt version corresponding to the qmake path given
  -qt              with extra Qt gui support (if not already enabled)
  -qt-VER          with Qt version corresponding to
                        $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/platforms/linux64Gcc/qt-VER/bin/qmake
  -gcc              force g++ instead of the value from $WM_CXX
  -verbose          verbose output in Makefiles
  -version VER      specify an alternative version (current value: 3.12.0)
  -major  VER      specify an alternative major version for special builds
  -mesa-include DIR
                    location of mesa headers (current value: /usr/include/GL)
  -mesa-lib PATH    path to mesa library    (current value: /usr/lib64/libOSMesa.so)
  -python-lib PATH  path to python library  (current value: none)
  -help

The -no-FEATURE option can be disable these features (if not already disabled):
  mesa mpi python qt

CMake options start with a capital letter and contain an '='.
For example,
    makeParaView BUILD_TESTING=ON PARAVIEW_GENERATE_PROXY_DOCUMENTATION=OFF
to add tests and avoid building documentation

For finer control, the build stages can be selected or deselected individually:
  -config    -no-config
  -make      -no-make
  -install  -no-install


* Make and install paraview-3.12.0 located under
      $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/ParaView-3.12.0
  ->  $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/platforms/linux64Gcc/paraview-3.12.0


Any suggestions are appreciate

Tobi

wyldckat October 20, 2012 16:43

Hi Tobi,

Then we need to back-trace to where you go the information about this option! Like I wrote before, I think this option is used at code level, not at build level!

edit: I found this http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/pa...ne/017937.html - you can try and use the "proxy xml definition" for creating a wrapper for this class.

Best regards,
Bruno

Tobi October 20, 2012 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 387699)
Hi Tobi,

Then we need to back-trace to where you go the information about this option! Like I wrote before, I think this option is used at code level, not at build level!

edit: I found this http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/pa...ne/017937.html - you can try and use the "proxy xml definition" for creating a wrapper for this class.

Best regards,
Bruno

Hi bruno,

you have to build your paraview by your self with ccmake and there you can set up the variable. But therefor I can not compile paraview :(

The info I got from here:

http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=1630

as I get from the discription, you are able to save the plots as eps

Tobi

Tobi October 21, 2012 06:50

maybe this would be helpful too!

http://markmail.org/message/crk24ma2g7zeuhrl

Tobi

wyldckat October 22, 2012 08:43

Hi Tobi,

I haven't had time to look into this and I won't have any during the week. Basically you need to either use instead of "vtkGL2PSExporter" for the build options in makeParaView, you'll need to either use "VTK_GL2PS_ON" or "VTK_GL2PS".

The other possibility is that you'll need to hack one or more files in ParaView's VTK folder for this to work.

Good luck!
Bruno

wyldckat October 22, 2012 15:58

Hi Tobi,

I made a quick search into the files and it seems that the keyword you're looking for is this: VTK_USE_GL2PS

Either one of the following commands should do the trick, although I haven't tested it yet:
  • Using the method I mentioned before:
    Code:

    ./makeParaView -qmake $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/platforms/linux64Gcc44/qt-4.6.4/bin/qmake VTK_USE_GL2PS:BOOL=ON
  • Using the example shown in makeParaView's help:
    Code:

    ./makeParaView -qmake $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/platforms/linux64Gcc44/qt-4.6.4/bin/qmake VTK_USE_GL2PS=ON
But still, this will only make sure it builds with it, but it doesn't mean that ParaView will make it directly available without some additional coding or custom filters!



Good luck!
Bruno

Tobi October 22, 2012 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 387970)
Hi Tobi,

I made a quick search into the files and it seems that the keyword you're looking for is this: VTK_USE_GL2PS

Either one of the following commands should do the trick, although I haven't tested it yet:
  • Using the method I mentioned before:
    Code:

    ./makeParaView -qmake $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/platforms/linux64Gcc44/qt-4.6.4/bin/qmake VTK_USE_GL2PS:BOOL=ON
  • Using the example shown in makeParaView's help:
    Code:

    ./makeParaView -qmake $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR/platforms/linux64Gcc44/qt-4.6.4/bin/qmake VTK_USE_GL2PS=ON
But still, this will only make sure it builds with it, but it doesn't mean that ParaView will make it directly available without some additional coding or custom filters!



Good luck!
Bruno

Hi Bruno,

I ll have a look at this, this week and give a feedback.
Tobi


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:45.