CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Installation

OF Installation for Swak4foam + Linux Newbie

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gschaider

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   February 24, 2014, 15:18
Default OF Installation for Swak4foam + Linux Newbie
  #1
New Member
 
Richard
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
RicME85 is on a distinguished road
Im trying to install Openfoam and Swak4foam on Lubuntu so that I can run simulations of my F1 car for the Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge, problem is Im new to Linux so most stuff goes straight over my head.

I have been following the guide at - http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~hani/kur...OwnLaptop.html

I have got to the part of the guide that says:
Quote:
Close the terminal window, open a new one:
CTRL-ALT-T
and continue:
OF22x
foam
...problem is when I do OF22x I get this:
Quote:
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamEtcFile: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamCleanPath: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamCleanPath: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamCleanPath: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/etc/config/settings.sh: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/etc/config/aliases.sh: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamEtcFile: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamEtcFile: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamEtcFile: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamCleanPath: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamCleanPath: No such file or directory
bash: /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/foamCleanPath: No such file or directory
Any ideas?
RicME85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 26, 2014, 12:30
Default
  #2
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicME85 View Post
Im trying to install Openfoam and Swak4foam on Lubuntu so that I can run simulations of my F1 car for the Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge, problem is Im new to Linux so most stuff goes straight over my head.

I have been following the guide at - http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~hani/kur...OwnLaptop.html

I have got to the part of the guide that says:


...problem is when I do OF22x I get this:


Any ideas?
Check whether /opt/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/bin/ is there (or its parents). Seems that the script and reality are not aligned

BTW: use CODE instead of QUOTE for output in your postings
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 27, 2014, 07:18
Default
  #3
New Member
 
Richard
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
RicME85 is on a distinguished road
Had a change of plan, decided to go exactly as the guide says in the link I posted in the OP so have an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS install and have got further through the guide than before.

The guide now says to do the following:
Code:
Test the installation:
CTRL-ALT_T #To open an new terminal window
OF22x
mkdir -p $FOAM_RUN
run
cp r $FOAM_TUTORIALS/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity .
cd cavity
blockMesh
icoFoam
paraFoam
Problem I have now is this:
Code:
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/richard-2.2.x/run$ cp r $FOAM_TUTORIALS/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity .
cp: cannot stat `r': No such file or directory
cp: omitting directory `/home/richard/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/tutorials/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity'
RicME85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 27, 2014, 13:13
Default
  #4
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicME85 View Post
Had a change of plan, decided to go exactly as the guide says in the link I posted in the OP so have an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS install and have got further through the guide than before.

The guide now says to do the following:
Code:
Test the installation:
CTRL-ALT_T #To open an new terminal window
OF22x
mkdir -p $FOAM_RUN
run
cp r $FOAM_TUTORIALS/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity .
cd cavity
blockMesh
icoFoam
paraFoam
Problem I have now is this:
Code:
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/richard-2.2.x/run$ cp r $FOAM_TUTORIALS/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity .
cp: cannot stat `r': No such file or directory
cp: omitting directory `/home/richard/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.x/tutorials/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity'
This looks like cp on your machine does not support -r (strange). Check the man-page. Maybe -R or --recursive work
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 27, 2014, 17:21
Default
  #5
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 8,253
Blog Entries: 34
Rep Power: 84
wyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nice
Greetings to all!

Just a quick drive-by to point out a very particular detail... better explained on this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen-minus
  • "-" is a hyphen, which should work just fine on the terminal, such as "cp -r"
  • "−" is a minus sign, which will not work as intended on the terminal (Note: I think it's a minus sign, but I haven't checked the HTML code to confirm this...)
Can't see the difference? Here's side-by-side, where the first one is incorrect:
Code:
cp r $FOAM_TUTORIALS/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity .
cp -r $FOAM_TUTORIALS/incompressible/icoFoam/cavity .
Always keep in mind that with OpenFOAM and Linux, every single detail, no matter how small, is more important than any other "user friendly interface" leads you to believe

Best regards,
Bruno

PS: It gets worse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 27, 2014, 17:52
Default
  #6
New Member
 
Richard
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
RicME85 is on a distinguished road
Thank you!
I was copying and pasting into the Terminal so was assuming the guide had everything written correctly, obviously this wasnt the case!
Really appreciate the help.
RicME85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 27, 2014, 20:00
Default
  #7
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldckat View Post
Always keep in mind that with OpenFOAM and Linux, every single detail, no matter how small, is more important than any other "user friendly interface" leads you to believe
I've got this sign over my desk "Computers are like an old-testament god: lots of rules and no mercy"
wyldckat likes this.
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 28, 2014, 08:38
Default
  #8
New Member
 
Richard
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
RicME85 is on a distinguished road
Ok, so I now have OpenFOAM installed

Now to Swak4foam.
This I have zero idea of. Is there a noobs install guide?
RicME85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 28, 2014, 08:48
Default
  #9
New Member
 
Richard
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
RicME85 is on a distinguished road
Just had an attempt at this and here is what I got:

Code:
richard@laptop:~$ cd /home/richard/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x/
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x$ svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/openfoam-extend/svn/trunk/Breeder_2.0/libraries/swak4Foam
Checked out revision 2035.
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x$ cd swak4Foam
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x/swak4Foam$ nice ./Allwmake
Previously compiled for OpenFOAM 
No file 'swakConfiguration'. Python etc won't work. See README for details
Checking swak4Foam-version and generating file
Swak version is 0.3.0
./Allwmake: line 49: wmake: command not found

Requirements for Library not satisfied. I see no sense in going on
Check the README before you go on to ask. And search: Most likely your problem occured to 5 other people before and has been solved on the MessageBoard
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x/swak4Foam$
RicME85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 28, 2014, 14:10
Default
  #10
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicME85 View Post
Just had an attempt at this and here is what I got:

Code:
richard@laptop:~$ cd /home/richard/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x/
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x$ svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/openfoam-extend/svn/trunk/Breeder_2.0/libraries/swak4Foam
Checked out revision 2035.
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x$ cd swak4Foam
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x/swak4Foam$ nice ./Allwmake
Previously compiled for OpenFOAM 
No file 'swakConfiguration'. Python etc won't work. See README for details
Checking swak4Foam-version and generating file
Swak version is 0.3.0
./Allwmake: line 49: wmake: command not found

Requirements for Library not satisfied. I see no sense in going on
Check the README before you go on to ask. And search: Most likely your problem occured to 5 other people before and has been solved on the MessageBoard
richard@laptop:~/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-2.2.x/swak4Foam$
Have you sourced the etc/bashrc of your installation in that shell (either manually or via .bashrc)? Then wmake should be in the path
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 28, 2014, 14:12
Default
  #11
New Member
 
Richard
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Rep Power: 3
RicME85 is on a distinguished road
No idea, I'm a complete Linux newbie.
How would I go about doing that?
RicME85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   February 28, 2014, 16:03
Default
  #12
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,912
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicME85 View Post
No idea, I'm a complete Linux newbie.
How would I go about doing that?
That is the part in the installation description that says "add a line '~/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.2.0/etc/bashrc' to your ~/.bashrc" (something in that direction). I'm wondering: on that shell: does it even find (for instance) interFoam? The thing is: installing OF is one thing. But you've got to make sure that a new shell 'knows' where OF is
__________________
Note: I don't use "Friend"-feature on this forum out of principle. Ah. And by the way: I'm not on Facebook either. So don't be offended if I don't accept your invitation/friend request
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   March 1, 2014, 20:25
Default
  #13
Super Moderator
 
Bruno Santos
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 8,253
Blog Entries: 34
Rep Power: 84
wyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nicewyldckat is just really nice
Greetings to all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicME85 View Post
No idea, I'm a complete Linux newbie.
How would I go about doing that?
Here's some reading material: http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/In...with_the_Shell

Best regards,
Bruno
wyldckat is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LINUX newbie with paraView installation problem kenya0514 OpenFOAM Installation 4 January 16, 2013 18:51
OpenFOAM 1.7 installation on Redhat linux maxims OpenFOAM Installation 2 November 30, 2012 05:29
Source Pack Installation OpenFOAM Version 2.1.0 on Redhat Linux Indrajit OpenFOAM Installation 1 April 1, 2012 04:39
Dual Boot Windows and Linux and Go Open Source andyj Main CFD Forum 2 October 21, 2010 16:49
OpenFOAM installation problem on Linux 32bit kumar OpenFOAM Installation 0 April 27, 2007 05:41


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33.