CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Installation (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/)
-   -   Mac Simple Install Request or Processing Assistance Help (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/57273-mac-simple-install-request-processing-assistance-help.html)

sjohnson December 3, 2008 11:57

I am an architect who is doing

I am an architect who is doing free research on vehicle aerodynamics. This is just a personal interest of mine. I have researched several Computational Fluid Dynamics softwares such as Solid Works and Tetruss. It was recommended by Innovation Applications Co. that I try OpenFOAM. I downloaded the software but now realize that to install in a mac computer is a very complicated process. I'm computer literate as long as the software is user friendly. Would it be possible to install a copy of the OpenFoam software which has already been configured to operate on an Intel Mac? (Mac OS X 10.5.4) I had hoped to create STL files from my SketchUp 3D designs and input into a CFD software to evaluate aerodynamics. I know after reading this blog that this is a very simplistic ideal. If it's not possible to install OpenFOAM simply in my Mac would anyone be interested in helping me analize a few of my designs? Any thoughts? SJ

sjohnson December 5, 2008 18:36

Again, Can anyone respond to t

Again, Can anyone respond to this request?

I am an architect who is doing free research on vehicle aerodynamics. This is just a personal interest of mine. I have researched several Computational Fluid Dynamics softwares such as Solid Works and Tetruss. It was recommended by Innovation Applications Co. that I try OpenFOAM. I downloaded the software but now realize that to install in a mac computer is a very complicated process. I'm computer literate as long as the software is user friendly. Would it be possible to install a copy of the OpenFoam software which has already been configured to operate on an Intel Mac? (Mac OS X 10.5.4) I had hoped to create STL files from my SketchUp 3D designs and input into a CFD software to evaluate aerodynamics. I know after reading this blog that this is a very simplistic ideal. If it's not possible to install OpenFOAM simply in my Mac would anyone be interested in helping me analize a few of my designs? Any thoughts? SJ

johndeas December 5, 2008 19:51

I don't know if it is difficul

I don't know if it is difficult to install OF on a mac, but you still have the option of installing linux on your mac and make it more OpenFOAM-friendly. Dual-boot it.

fra76 December 8, 2008 16:01

Hi Steve, packing up an insta

Hi Steve,
packing up an installation from another Mac is fairly easy, if you know someone who already has a working copy.
I prepared something similar. If you need it, let me know how I can send it to you...

Francesco

gizmo December 12, 2008 08:46

Hi Steve, if you still want to

Hi Steve, if you still want to install OpenFOAM on your Mac, I'm creating a small wiki with my little knowledge about OpenFOAM on my Mac, maybe I can give you the address of my wiki under construction where you can find a way to install OpenFOAM on your Mac.

I don't want to give it in public because it is still under construction and low level in OpenFOAM for the moment!