CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Installation (
-   -   OpenFOAM 15 icc build (

mschoenberg July 31, 2008 10:44

I've recently been working on
I've recently been working on installing OpenFOAM 1.5 on a 64-bit Linux machine. It's being installed in /tmp rather than the normal directory, and I would like to build it from source with icc. I've fixed a couple library linking issues, but one continues to elude me.

ld: cannot find -lrhoCentralFoam

Attempting to compile applications.solvers.compressible.rhoCentralFoam with Allwmake throws the following error:

SOURCE=U/maxwellSlipUFvPatchVectorField.C ; icpc -Dlinux64 -DDP -wd654,819,1125,1476,1505,1572 -xT -O3 -no-prec-div -DNoRepository -I/tmp/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/tmp/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/thermophysicalModels/basic/lnInclude -I/tmp/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/thermophysicalModels/specie/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/tmp/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/tmp/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/OSspecific/Unix/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64IccDPOpt/maxwellSlipUFvPatchVectorField.o

U/maxwellSlipUFvPatchVectorField.C(160): error: type "Foam::fvPatchField<type>::fvPatchField [with Type=Foam::vector]" is not a class template

const GeometricField<scalar,>& vsfT =

This is followed by a large number of other errors which stem from the first, all involving GeometricField and FieldField, and all originating in maxwellSlipUFvPatchVectorField.C.

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mschoenberg August 4, 2008 12:18

No ideas? Shoot. I'm having
No ideas? Shoot. I'm having an additional problem with recompiling ParaView. When I invoke the build script, I get:

Building ParaView3.3-cvs
MPI support : OFF
Python support : OFF
MESA support : OFF
Source : /tmp/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty/ParaView3.3-cvs
Target : /tmp/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty/ParaView3.3-cvs/platforms/linux64Icc
CMake Error: ParaView requires an out of source Build. Please create a separate binary directory and run CMake there.
-- Configuring done
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

I've looked in the build script and its functions, and though I'm unclear as to the source of the error, I notice that PARAVIEW_APP_DIR is never initialized in the build script or its functions. Is this the source of the issue? Any suggestions?

mschoenberg August 7, 2008 10:36

As an addendum, I've solved th
As an addendum, I've solved the ParaView problem - there was a CMakeCache file that was causing the issue.

Still not sure about the missing library.

mschoenberg August 13, 2008 11:40

I'm encountering another compi
I'm encountering another compiler error with fieldAverage.

SOURCE=fieldAverage/fieldAverage.C ; icpc -Dlinux64 -DDP -wd654,819,1125,1476,1505,1572 -O3 -no-prec-div -DNoRepository -I/home/michael/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/finiteVolume/lnInclude -I/home/michael/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/sampling/lnInclude -IlnInclude -I. -I/home/michael/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude -I/home/michael/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/OSspecific/Unix/lnInclude -fPIC -c $SOURCE -o Make/linux64IccDPOpt/fieldAverage.o
/home/michael/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/UListIO.C(76): error: no operator "!=" matches these operands
operand types are: const Foam::fieldAverageItem != const Foam::fieldAverageItem
if (L[i] != L[0])
detected during:
instantiation of "Foam: &Foam::operator<<(foam::ostream> &) [with T=Foam::fieldAverageItem]" at line 237 of "/home/michael/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/token.H"
instantiation of "void Foam::token::Compound<t>::write(Foam: &) const [with T=Foam::List<foam::fieldaverageitem>]" at line 83 of "/home/michael/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/typeInfo.H"
instantiation of "To &Foam::dynamicCast<to,from>(From &) [with To=Foam::token::Compound<foam::list<foam::fieldave rageitem>>, From=Foam::token::compound]" at line 70 of "/home/michael/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/ListIO.C"
instantiation of "Foam::Istream &Foam::operator>>(Foam::Istream &, Foam::List<t> &) [with T=Foam::fieldAverageItem]" at line 46 of "/home/michael/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.5/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/ListIO.C"
instantiation of "Foam::List<t>::List(Foam::Istream &) [with T=Foam::fieldAverageItem]" at line 173 of "fieldAverage/fieldAverage.C"

compilation aborted for fieldAverage/fieldAverage.C (code 2)
make: *** [Make/linux64IccDPOpt/fieldAverage.o] Error 2

Does fieldAverageItem not have equality operators?

guanghaowu October 2, 2008 00:09

Hello Michael, Have you sol
Hello Michael,

Have you solved the fieldAverage compile problem? I am encounting the same problem with the same error message.

Thanks in advance.