CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Installation (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/)
-   -   Installation of 13 (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/57622-installation-13-a.html)

grtabor May 17, 2006 08:53

Hi. I'm upgrading OpenFOAM on

Hi. I'm upgrading OpenFOAM on my own machine. Followed the usual routine of downloading and installing, then tried to run blockMesh on the cavity case from the tutorials. Error as follows:

lutoslawski<39> blockMesh . cavity
blockMesh: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by blockMesh)

I've checked through my .cshrc file several times, and can't understand what is going wrong here (particularly as I've already successfully upgraded my PhD student's machines). I'm probably doing something very stupid, but I can't see what. Any suggestions?

Gavin

rogn May 17, 2006 08:59

What OS + version are you runn

What OS + version are you running ?

Rolf

rogn May 17, 2006 09:11

... and what OS + version is y

... and what OS + version is your student running ?

grtabor May 17, 2006 09:19

I'm on RedHat 9 (.0, I think)

I'm on RedHat 9 (.0, I think) - he may be on RedHat 8, being a slightly older machine.

Gavin

rogn May 17, 2006 09:53

The problem is that a fully up

The problem is that a fully updated RedHat 9 only reaches glibc version 2.3.2-something and that the OpenFOAM-1.3 binaries have been created on a machine with newer glibc version. I had the same problem on our cluster. I read that updating glibc is VERY MESSY and could destroy your OS so that even simple commands like ls and cp does not work anymore. I therefore searched the forum and found a post by Bernhard Gsnaider that helped me:

"... What I did was: remove the executable-binaries (not the .o-s and not the .so-s) and perform a wmake in the applications directory. That should only relink the applications (and then everything should be fine)"

This worked for me even though I had to do some manual recompiling with for example foamFlex++, but it can be done.

Alternatively update to RedHat fedora core 3. I am running FC3 on my personal PC, and I have no problems running OpenFOAM-1.3.

I would certaintly recommend you to update your OS since this is the quickest thing to do. Also RedHat 9 is obsolete with no active updates etc.

Regards
Rolf

mbeaudoin May 17, 2006 11:16

You can also recompile the who

You can also recompile the whole thing from source, instead of using the pre-compiled binary version, or upgrading your OS.

Check out this document on the OpenFOAM Wiki:

http://openfoamwiki.net/index.php/Howto_compile_O penFOAM

Martin

segersson May 18, 2006 04:13

Hi, Thanks for the advice! I

Hi,
Thanks for the advice!
I had the same problem and your suggested solution seems to work just fine. Just did rm * under OpenFoam1.3/applications/bin and then executed the Allwmake script in the applications directory. After this the applications seem to work (now I just have to find out why FoamX is complaining over a missing nameservice (ns.ref file missing...).

Regards
David

segersson May 18, 2006 07:35

Hi again, After a second chec

Hi again,
After a second check it does not seem to be totally correct after all. The foamFlex seems to need recompiling in my case as well. Doing a wclean and then wmake in itīs directory does not however produce a binary (even though it doesnīt return any error messages...). Rolf, I would appreciate if you could more exactly tell me what you did when it comes to manual recompilation of foamFlex (and maybe other parts...)?

Regards
David

mbeaudoin May 18, 2006 09:24

Maybe something related to you

Maybe something related to your local version of bison, which is needed to generate a valid version of the files parse.c and skel.c. for your local system.

Try this:

cd $WM_PROJECT_DIR/applications/utilities/miscellaneous/foamFlex

make clean
wclean
make
wmake

Martin

segersson May 18, 2006 10:06

It seems like the only problem

It seems like the only problem was that the foamFlex++ binary was not written to applications/bin but to a file OpenFoam.out in the foamFlex directory. All I had to do was to change the name to foamFlex++ and move it to applications/bin, then everything worked (at least I can compile fluentMeshToFoam which did not work before).

Thanks anyway for the advice
David

mbeaudoin May 18, 2006 10:21

Found the problem: a typo

Found the problem:

a typo in the file $WM_PROJECT_DIR/applications/utilities/miscellaneous/foamFlex/Make/files:

The last line of the file should be

EXE = $(FOAM_APPBIN)/foamFlex++

Martin

mbeaudoin May 18, 2006 10:31

Same typo in: $WM_PROJECT_D

Same typo in:

$WM_PROJECT_DIR/applications/test/Field/Make/files
$WM_PROJECT_DIR/applications/test/alloc/Make/files
$WM_PROJECT_DIR/applications/test/maxMem/Make/files
$WM_PROJECT_DIR/applications/utilities/miscellaneous/foamFlex/Make/files

Martin

mattijs May 18, 2006 11:00

These are not OpenFOAM apps, t

These are not OpenFOAM apps, these are standalone apps so do not need to link in libOpenFOAM etc.

See $WM_DIR/Makefile for how it hangs together.

slain August 24, 2006 12:02

Hi all, I am installing Ope

Hi all,

I am installing OpenFOAM v 1.3 on a RedHat 8 with binaries. Although the installation seemed to be fine when I try the first example in the tutorial

blockMesh . cavity

I got the message that

can not handle libstdc++.so.6 with TLS data.

Has anybody any idea what does it mean? and how to solve the problem?

Thanks a lot!!!

P.S. the same message appears when I try to run another application as dnsFoam for instance.

mattijs August 24, 2006 12:43

Search for 'TLS' on this forum

Search for 'TLS' on this forum.