CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Installation (
-   -   OpenFOAM on SiCortex (

egp April 1, 2009 09:25

OpenFOAM on SiCortex

Does anyone have experience running OpenFOAM on a SiCortex machines ( that they would be willing to share? I'm particularly looking for:

1. performance metrics
2. installation & optimization

I've noticed that 1.5-dev has an entry in the wmake directory, $WM_PROJECT_DIR/wmake/rules/SiCortex64Gcc. Therefore, someone is using a SiCortex machine in the OpenFOAM world.

mattijs April 6, 2009 14:24

2. We did the port a little while ago. Since it is based on Linux it was quite easy - the only major change we had to make was in enforcing 4 byte alignment for mpi transfers. It should just compile/run out of the box. We just linked in their native mpi - didn't do any specific optimisation.

1. We only ran some tiny testcases to make sure it was running. I'd be interested in seeing some performance metrics as well - especially scaling on lots of processors.

egp April 6, 2009 15:09

Hi Mattijs,

Yeah, the wmake/rules looked pretty straight forward, so I expected it to compile without much problem.

I have access to a SiCortex SC1458 which has 1458 cores ( Once I have some scaling performance numbers, I'll post them.

mattijs April 7, 2009 04:51

We found a big benefit from turning off runTimeModifiable (checks all registered dictionaries for change every time step). The nfs performance is not spectacular.

kwardle July 15, 2009 10:14

I have access to a SiCortex with 5832 cores. I will try to compile and runs some tests on this one too.