CFD Online Logo CFD Online URL
www.cfd-online.com
[Sponsors]
Home > Forums > OpenFOAM Installation

Successful Installaton Of OpenFOAM-1.6 and Paraview in Ubuntu 9.04

Register Blogs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old   August 15, 2009, 17:41
Thumbs up Successful Installaton Of OpenFOAM-1.6 and Paraview in Ubuntu 9.04
  #1
Member
 
Alan Russell
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho USA
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 8
AlanR is on a distinguished road
After many attempts over the past few weeks, I managed to successfully install OpenFOAM-1.6 and Paraview 3.6.1. I have managed to learn a fair amount about linux along the way. Here's what worked for me: maybe it will save some time for someone else...

First, the OpenFOAM installation instructions in the README file work consistently. The only problem I had on a clean installation of Ubuntu 9.04 (32 bit) was with permissions. This fixed it:
http://http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/67198-openfoam-1-6-permissions-ubuntu-9-04-a.htm Post 2

I have not had problems getting the foamInstallationTest to check out, or running blockmesh and icoFoam on the lid-driven cavity flow tutorial.

ParaView was more of a challenge. After many attempts and reading a lot of posts, I found the installParaView script by Jure.
http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ope...ntu-9-04-a.htm Post 58

Before you go off and run the script, I had the problem described in Post 61. I fixed the problem by following Post 66 and recompiling Paraview following the README file instructions (below). Compiling Paraview takes a long time - on the order of 5 hours for the old desktop I'm currently using, so be sure to add the path in Post 66, and make sure you have the correct version of qmake, cmake and gcc before you start. To check for each, us the command qmake --version, cmake --version and gcc --version., and to check the path, echo $PATH.

Compiling Paraview 3.6.1 and the PV3FoamReader module


  • cd $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR
  • rm -rf paraview-3.6.1/platforms
  • makeParaView
  • cd $FOAM_UTILITIES/postProcessing/graphics/PV3FoamReader
  • ./Allwclean
  • ./Allwmake
Good luck. Thanks to those who helped me, and see you all on other posts. When I get a new 64 bit system, I will probably be back to the Installation forum.
AlanR
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 7, 2009, 02:28
Default
  #2
Member
 
Jason G.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clemmons, NC
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 7
JasonG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
After many attempts over the past few weeks, I managed to successfully install OpenFOAM-1.6 and Paraview 3.6.1. I have managed to learn a fair amount about linux along the way. Here's what worked for me: maybe it will save some time for someone else...

First, the OpenFOAM installation instructions in the README file work consistently. The only problem I had on a clean installation of Ubuntu 9.04 (32 bit) was with permissions. This fixed it:
http://http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/67198-openfoam-1-6-permissions-ubuntu-9-04-a.htm Post 2

I have not had problems getting the foamInstallationTest to check out, or running blockmesh and icoFoam on the lid-driven cavity flow tutorial.

ParaView was more of a challenge. After many attempts and reading a lot of posts, I found the installParaView script by Jure.
http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/ope...ntu-9-04-a.htm Post 58

Before you go off and run the script, I had the problem described in Post 61. I fixed the problem by following Post 66 and recompiling Paraview following the README file instructions (below). Compiling Paraview takes a long time - on the order of 5 hours for the old desktop I'm currently using, so be sure to add the path in Post 66, and make sure you have the correct version of qmake, cmake and gcc before you start. To check for each, us the command qmake --version, cmake --version and gcc --version., and to check the path, echo $PATH.

Compiling Paraview 3.6.1 and the PV3FoamReader module


  • cd $WM_THIRD_PARTY_DIR
  • rm -rf paraview-3.6.1/platforms
  • makeParaView
  • cd $FOAM_UTILITIES/postProcessing/graphics/PV3FoamReader
  • ./Allwclean
  • ./Allwmake
Good luck. Thanks to those who helped me, and see you all on other posts. When I get a new 64 bit system, I will probably be back to the Installation forum.
AlanR
Hi Alan,

I am new to linux and have been attempting for the last few weeks to complete the OpenFOAM-1.6 installation on Ubuntu 9.04. I first attempted to follow the README file as mentioned, and then tried various installation guides I found on other sites, but with no luck.

I have downloaded the "___.gtgz" files, and used the "tar" command to extract them. But, then I believe I am incorrectly completing steps 2 and 4. I would greatly appreciate if you could offer any additional comments on getting OpenFOAM installed.

Thanks.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 8, 2009, 13:52
Default
  #3
Senior Member
 
Gijsbert Wierink
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 383
Rep Power: 9
gwierink is on a distinguished road
Hi Jason,

Where do you exactly get stuck? Do you get error messages and if so, what do they say?

Cheers,

Gijs
gwierink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 8, 2009, 17:19
Default
  #4
Member
 
Jason G.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clemmons, NC
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 7
JasonG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwierink View Post
Hi Jason,

Where do you exactly get stuck? Do you get error messages and if so, what do they say?

Cheers,

Gijs
Hi,

After some searching online, I came across this guide:

http://energy.tf.itb.ac.id/index.php...904?format=pdf

On step "9" I try to update the environment variables using the listed command. After doing this I get the following message in my terminal.


"Warning in /home/jason/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.6/etc/settings.sh:
Cannot find /home/jason/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.6/gcc-4.3.3/platforms/linux installation.
Please install this compiler version or if you wish to use the system compiler,
change the 'compilerInstall' setting to 'System' in this file
"

I was unsure how to install that compiler version, so I edited the "settings.sh" file so that line 98 was set to 'System'. I thought this worked as I didn't receive any more errors. But, when I attempt step "14" to test a tutorial file, I receive this error:

bash: blockMesh: command not found


I feel I am overlooking something easy.

Thanks!
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 9, 2009, 01:42
Default
  #5
Member
 
Alan Russell
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho USA
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 8
AlanR is on a distinguished road
Jason,

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit processor? My instructions are for a 32 bit. I haven't attempted installing OpenFOAM 64 bit yet. I think there was a problem with the ThirdParty files. Gcc 4.3.3 is one of the programs that gets installed in the ThirdParty directory. You might want to delete and reinstall the ThirdParty General and binaries.

If you are using a 64 bit machine, there are posts with specific instructions. They are somewhat different than the 32 bit.

If you are using a 32 bit, I suggest you go back to the installation script files by Jure. You can either run them, or just read through them and do the steps yourself. There is a script for installing the OpenFOAM files and a second one for Paraview.

Good luck,

Alan
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 9, 2009, 02:25
Default
  #6
Senior Member
 
Gijsbert Wierink
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 383
Rep Power: 9
gwierink is on a distinguished road
Hi Jason,

Yes, it might be that settings.sh cannot find /home/jason/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.6/gcc-4.3.3/platforms/linux, because it is actually /home/jason/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.6/gcc-4.3.3/platforms/linux64 or /home/jason/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.6/gcc-4.3.3/platforms/linux-64 .

Rgds,

Gijs
gwierink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 9, 2009, 02:31
Default
  #7
Senior Member
 
MadsR's Avatar
 
Mads Reck
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 175
Rep Power: 9
MadsR is on a distinguished road
Hey.

If it is any help to you, I've compiled my way of installing OpenFOAM on Ubuntu 9.04 into a script (link here) which seems to work. Maybe it can help/inspire you in solving your problem (?)

Cheers,
Mads
__________________
Online free airfoil-mesher for OpenFOAM here
MadsR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 9, 2009, 11:35
Default
  #8
Member
 
Jason G.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clemmons, NC
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 7
JasonG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
Jason,

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit processor? My instructions are for a 32 bit. I haven't attempted installing OpenFOAM 64 bit yet. I think there was a problem with the ThirdParty files. Gcc 4.3.3 is one of the programs that gets installed in the ThirdParty directory. You might want to delete and reinstall the ThirdParty General and binaries.

If you are using a 64 bit machine, there are posts with specific instructions. They are somewhat different than the 32 bit.

If you are using a 32 bit, I suggest you go back to the installation script files by Jure. You can either run them, or just read through them and do the steps yourself. There is a script for installing the OpenFOAM files and a second one for Paraview.

Good luck,

Alan

Yes, I am using a 64-bit machine. I have been attempting to run it through a Sun VirtualBox just to get the basics of the software before doing a full Linux install on my pc.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 9, 2009, 11:37
Default
  #9
Member
 
Jason G.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clemmons, NC
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 7
JasonG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadsR View Post
Hey.

If it is any help to you, I've compiled my way of installing OpenFOAM on Ubuntu 9.04 into a script (link here) which seems to work. Maybe it can help/inspire you in solving your problem (?)

Cheers,
Mads
Thanks, I am going to give this a shot to see if it works. Is this also only applicable to a 32-bit machine?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 9, 2009, 13:03
Default
  #10
Member
 
Jason G.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clemmons, NC
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 7
JasonG is on a distinguished road
It seems I am actually running the 32-bit version of Ubuntu. I made a mistake in the file I installed on the virtualbox. I have been trying to run through the posted script, after it didn't load correctly I started manually copy-pasting each line into the terminal. I am getting the following message:

jason@jason-laptop:~$ git clone git://repo.or.cz/OpenFOAM-1.6.x.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/jason/OpenFOAM-1.6.x/.git/
repo.or.cz[0: 62.24.64.27]: errno=Connection timed out
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)

I am guessing this is attempting to connect to a site that is no longer still active.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 14, 2009, 13:21
Default
  #11
Member
 
Jason G.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clemmons, NC
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 7
JasonG is on a distinguished road
I finally got OpenFOAM successfully installed, but I am afraid to admit what my issue was . Thanks for the help everyone!
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 15, 2009, 04:27
Default
  #12
Senior Member
 
Gijsbert Wierink
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 383
Rep Power: 9
gwierink is on a distinguished road
So, just for the record, what was the issue?
gwierink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 15, 2009, 04:36
Default
  #13
Senior Member
 
MadsR's Avatar
 
Mads Reck
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 175
Rep Power: 9
MadsR is on a distinguished road
Oops, I am a bit late here. Answer to the above question about 32/64 bit. Yes the script was only for 32 bit. I made a new one for 64 bit which I haven't been able to test, though.

32 bit install script
64 bit install script

/Mads
__________________
Online free airfoil-mesher for OpenFOAM here
MadsR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 15, 2009, 08:22
Default
  #14
Member
 
Jason G.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Clemmons, NC
Posts: 76
Rep Power: 7
JasonG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwierink View Post
So, just for the record, what was the issue?

I thought I downloaded and installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu on my emulator, so I proceeded to attempt the 64-bit installation of OpenFOAM. In reality I actually installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu... apparently 64-bit software is not compatible with a 32-bit OS .
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 15, 2009, 11:43
Default
  #15
Member
 
hamdi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 8
hamcer is on a distinguished road
I use ubuntu 8.10, 32 bit in my laptop
can this script installing OF-1.6

Thanks.
hamcer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 16, 2009, 03:19
Default
  #16
Senior Member
 
MadsR's Avatar
 
Mads Reck
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 175
Rep Power: 9
MadsR is on a distinguished road
Hamcer,

have you tried my script on Ubuntu 8.10?

/Mads
__________________
Online free airfoil-mesher for OpenFOAM here
MadsR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 16, 2009, 07:14
Default
  #17
Member
 
hamdi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 8
hamcer is on a distinguished road
hello Mads,
yes it workes fine,
but i have an another question , i can't use the python shell in paraview, it said : not shell python available, have u an idea?
Thanks
hamcer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 16, 2009, 08:30
Default
  #18
Senior Member
 
MadsR's Avatar
 
Mads Reck
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 175
Rep Power: 9
MadsR is on a distinguished road
Hi Hamdi.

No, I am not sure about that one.

A long-shot-solution, if you haven't installed python yet (check with the command: which python) is to install python (duh! :-) ):

sudo apt-get install python

but if it is some kind of binding between paraview and python that doesn't work, I don't know the solution.

/Mads
__________________
Online free airfoil-mesher for OpenFOAM here
MadsR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 16, 2009, 13:44
Default
  #19
Assistant Moderator
 
Bernhard Gschaider
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,915
Rep Power: 40
gschaider will become famous soon enoughgschaider will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamcer View Post
hello Mads,
yes it workes fine,
but i have an another question , i can't use the python shell in paraview, it said : not shell python available, have u an idea?
Thanks
You're talking about the Paraview-binary that is provided in the ThirdParty-tarball? That one hasn't got python enabled. You've got to run the build-script that is also in the tarball with -python (and probably change the location of the python-library that is in the script to the location appropriate for your machine)

Bernhard
gschaider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old   September 17, 2009, 03:44
Default
  #20
Member
 
hamdi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 8
hamcer is on a distinguished road
Thank you Bernhard for this repply,
I can use the python shell in paraview given by ubuntu synaptyc, but i loose paraFoam which load the openFoam tutorials (examples).
In the paraview given with openFoam i keep paraFoam, but i can't use python shell in it,
if you have the solution , tel me in details please since I'm not an expert in linux.
thank you again.

Nacer.
hamcer is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Install OpenFOAM on 64 Ubuntu 9.04 hansel OpenFOAM Installation 62 March 19, 2010 15:43
OpenFOAM 1.6 package - CentOS 5.3 x86_64 linnemann OpenFOAM Installation 36 September 2, 2009 12:46
OpenFOAM Version 1.6 Released opencfd OpenFOAM Announcements from ESI-OpenCFD 0 July 27, 2009 17:55
Paraview 3.4, ppa.launchpad.net and Ubuntu francois OpenFOAM Paraview & paraFoam 1 May 29, 2009 09:07
Adventure of fisrst openfoam installation on Ubuntu 710 jussi OpenFOAM Installation 0 April 24, 2008 14:25


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:35.