CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (
-   OpenFOAM Installation (
-   -   OpenFOAM 1.7 ParaView 3.8 installation problems (

shangzung July 9, 2010 06:01

OpenFOAM 1.7 ParaView 3.8 installation problems

I am having problems installing ParaView for OF 1.7. After installing paraView, if I enter paraFoam outside of a OF project output is:

file does not exist: './system/controlDict'

usage: paraFoam [option]

But if I enter paraFoam inside of a project, just how it's meant to be started, output is:

home/simulation/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-1.7.0/bin/paraFoam: Zeile 132: paraView: Kommando nicht gefunden.

Did someone encounter this error?

Thanks in advance!

wyldckat July 11, 2010 06:38

Greetings Dennis,

Sorry for taking so long to answer. I don't know if you've already managed to get ParaView working.

First of all, the script paraFoam is meant to be used with OpenFOAM cases. Either you run it inside a case folder, or you point to where the case is:

paraFoam -case folder/where/case/is
Now, the second issue is probably because ParaView was not built with success. So, how exactly did you install paraview?

Originally Posted by shangzung
After installing paraView

The quickest way for installing ParaView, without having to build it, is to follow the instructions I've been spreading around:
  1. Download the already built ParaView 3.8.0 from (keep in mind what architecture is your Linux installation, i?86 or x86_64);
  2. Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldckat (Post 263925)
    You can change in the script OpenFOAM-1.7.0/bin/paraFoam were it says ".OpenFOAM" to ".foam", since ParaView 3.8.0 expects that "foam" is the file extension for OpenFOAM cases.

3. And finally this: OF 1.7 installation problem "command not found error" - post #11
Best regards,