CFD Online Discussion Forums

CFD Online Discussion Forums (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/)
-   OpenFOAM Installation (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/)
-   -   Help: OpenFOAM-1.7 was installed, but compiling paraview-3.8 on Mac failed (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/openfoam-installation/78369-help-openfoam-1-7-installed-but-compiling-paraview-3-8-mac-failed.html)

Qingluan July 19, 2010 23:18

Help: OpenFOAM-1.7 was installed, but compiling paraview-3.8 on Mac failed

I compiled paraview-3.8.0 using fink project gcc4.4.4 and qt-4.5 on mac-10.6.4. I got the following errors. Thanks!

Linking C shared library ../../../bin/libvtktiff.dylib
[ 1%] Built target vtktiff
Scanning dependencies of target vtkexpat
[ 1%] Building C object VTK/Utilities/vtkexpat/CMakeFiles/vtkexpat.dir/xmlparse.c.o
[ 1%] Building C object VTK/Utilities/vtkexpat/CMakeFiles/vtkexpat.dir/xmltok.c.o
[ 1%] Building C object VTK/Utilities/vtkexpat/CMakeFiles/vtkexpat.dir/xmlrole.c.o
Linking C shared library ../../../bin/libvtkexpat.dylib
[ 1%] Built target vtkexpat
Scanning dependencies of target vtkfreetype
[ 1%] Building C object VTK/Utilities/vtkfreetype/CMakeFiles/vtkfreetype.dir/src/base/ftbase.c.o
In file included from /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers/CoreFoundation.h:43,
from /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Headers/CarbonCore.h:20,
from /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/AE.framework/Headers/AE.h:20,
from /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Headers/CoreServices.h:21,
from /Volumes/MyMac/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.7.x/paraview-3.8.0/VTK/Utilities/vtkfreetype/src/base/ftmac.c:100,
from /Volumes/MyMac/OpenFOAM/ThirdParty-1.7.x/paraview-3.8.0/VTK/Utilities/vtkfreetype/src/base/ftbase.c:38:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers/CFBundle.h:147: error: format string argument not a string type
make[2]: *** [VTK/Utilities/vtkfreetype/CMakeFiles/vtkfreetype.dir/src/base/ftbase.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [VTK/Utilities/vtkfreetype/CMakeFiles/vtkfreetype.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

gschaider July 20, 2010 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qingluan (Post 268111)
I compiled paraview-3.8.0 using fink project gcc4.4.4 and qt-4.5 on mac-10.6.4. I got the following errors. Thanks!

Not sure whether this combination will work. My experience is the following: the ObjectiveC-files that come with paraview (those for the Cocoa-Support) can only be compiled with the Apple-supplied compilers (preferably g++-4.2) all other compilers I tried so far choked on those.

Problem is that when you compile paraview with one compiler (4.2) and OF with another (4.4 for instance) the PV3FoamReader-Plugin won't work (incompatible versions of libstdc++). There are two solutions:
- configure paraview with the OF-gcc. Set the makefiles to verbose. Whenever a compilation chokes redo it with the apple-compiler then restart make. With this version the plugin should work in the end (did that with previous versions)
- configure paraview with the Apple-gcc. Use the built in OF-reader for postprocessing (but you might as well use the binary distro by KitWare)

Currently I use the second approach as the first one is a bit tedious

Bernhard